Are JW's embarrassed about being JW's?

by Elsewhere 25 Replies latest jw friends

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I know I used to be embarrassed to let anyone know I was a JW when I was in school, gawd I hated being one!

Come to think of it I hated it when I grew up too! My kids did too! I'm so sorry I did that to them!

Kate

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

As a kid I was, and what made matters worst was my stupid mother bragging to all the neighborhood kids parents that I was a virgin at 17! Hey Mom, thanks for adding fuel to the fire! And when I would complain to my Father his response was one or two

1. Cause I said so!

2. Shut-up!

But at the hall he was brother humble elder, everybody loved him! At home he was drunking dad drinking with worldly relatives, cursing, hitting my mother.

Great life I had huh?

• jwbot
    jwbot

Hi there (been a while...I get in moods, ya know...)

Yeah I was embarrassed, I hated to be one. I would try so hard to not let peers know but it was impossible. You know how it was. I know I probably would have had more confidence in middle and high school if I was not a JW. When I went to a private school at the end of high school...I didn't tell anyone and I had a great time. I had a car so I could sneak out with wordly friends etc. Of course, by then, I would volunteer the information because at that point, I saw it as a cult I needed to escape and it was sort of "cool" to be fighting the man and getting out of a tough situation.

Now that I am an ex-JW I do not mind telling people and a lot of them are so interested in my story...

• rocketman
    rocketman

The name Jehovah's Witnesses certainly carries not only a negative conotation but also sucks as a name for a religion. As some have implied by their experiences, it's an easy name to make fun of. I've been called a 'Hober, 'Hovah, JDub, etc etc. The name is also too much of a mouthful. The name Kingdom Hall is also sucky.

>As far as embarrasment at being a jw, I always found interesting some statements in the publications themselves, statements which would attempt to assure the reader (and prospective convert) that jws are just "normal people". I found it curious that jws and the WTS were frequently engaged in assuring others that they were not lunatics.

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

Yes, I think JW's are embarrassed about being JW's. I know I was, and tried very hard to maintain the zealous, fearlessness, proud mentality JW's were supposed to have. But what a humiliating experience.

As a kid I was, and what made matters worst was my stupid mother bragging to all the neighborhood kids parents that I was a virgin at 17! Hey Mom, thanks for adding fuel to the fire!

Gotmyhomey - oh you poor thing!! That is awful...my mom always would say to people (even non-JW's), "I've got an extremely moral daughter!"

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

Yeah, then after being df'd for drug use, stealing, fornication, and a bunch of other felonies from a to a like spelling bee's my Mother tells me, "dont't tell anyone you used crack!"

I then felt like asking her do you still want me too tell them I'm a virgin still?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit