Are JW's embarrassed about being JW's?

by Elsewhere 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Growing up one of my greatest embarrassments was that I was a JW. I hated it when others found out or I had to do some kind of "JW" thing like not stand for the National Anthem.

Do you know any JWs like this? Are you currently or were you a JW like this?

-Minimus

-Elsewhere

• Emma
    Emma

Oh, yes. Then came the guilt for feeling that way.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Some are, some aren't. I wore it as a badge of arrogant honor..

• Love_Truth
    Love_Truth

I got in a lot of fights with other kids for those reasons- not saluting the flag, not celebrating holidays, etc. It was always tough getting taunted, but felt better when I'd kick their ass. I don't know how I would have coped with it otherwise. So, ironically, JWs turned me into a very violence-prone young man. It took me decades of my life (until my thirties) before I finally got a grip, and stopped seeing red and fighting everytime I got angry over something. I got in my last fistfight at 32, alongside the road in the Baltimore area, when someone cut me off in their car. After I left the scene, I thought about the fact that I could be sent to prison for doing so, and I finally put an end to it. So much for being a pacifist JW- and I know a lot of guys still in the JWs (and out) who had the same problem as a result of their JW upbringing.

How great it is to be out of that mess!

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior
    -Minimus

-Elsewhere

LMAO Else !!

The JW guy that I had a relationship with- when when we first started talking he told me that he had something to tell me and he kept avoiding the actual "telling" part. One night he did tell me his big secret- the he was a Jehovah's Witness. I didn't know anything about the JW's at the time so it didn't bother me at all and I wondered why it was such a big secret to him. He kept asking me if I'd still talk to him now that I knew.

Funny thing is-now that I know about how JW's view "worldly" people- had he been true to his religion it would have been him not wanting to talk to me -not the other way around.

Have a great day Else !!! And stay away from that pot-smoking co-worker- she's bad association! She'll just get you in trouble !!

XW

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Some are, some aren't. I wore it as a badge of arrogant honor..

Isn't that the truth? Me too. How weird were we??

One of my closest friends is a JW, reluctantly. She married a JW fellow when she was 19. She was a Catholic, but was expected to become a JW, so as a dutiful little wife, she just switched churches. I believe she is still a Catholic at heart too....................

She has always had a house cleaning business, and about 10-15 years ago, I did some of her jobs when she was on vacation. She had instructed me NOT to let them know she was a JW, which I thought was odd, because for me it was kind of a big deal. I found out later that her jobs gave her birthday presents, Christmas presents and many other perks that many rich people give their help. She really didn't want them to know. She always gave them Christmas gifts too................and still does.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

They should be !!!!!!!!!

LOL Eleswhere.

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

re Mulan, I had worked with some Jdubs priorto my being one and they (2) of em were telling me to be sure and put out envelopes on the holidays, especially xmas as I would be getting a Lot of end of the year tips!! Oh and to also be sure and let them know when my birthday was. I was delivering Papers to help make ends meet.

These same individuals and at least two others were also doing in in thier full time jobs, i.e. window cleaning, and gardening. Just makes one wonder doesn't it, the hypricosy (spelling) exhibited by some of them is funny now. my 2c.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I was ashamed of being one. I never wanted to tell anyone. When people knew, I would get called names like "Joho" and such.

• jws
    jws

I never wanted people to know and absolutely dreaded running into somebody from school when we had to work territory in those neighborhoods. I'm sure that kids would probably not have cared as much as I thought. But they always told us the world would hate us. So why would I want to tell them?

Now that I'm an ex-JW, I don't really care. If the subject comes up, I readily offer that information. To me, being an ex-JW doesn't have embarassment. People will often clam-up when they find out you're a JW. But, knowing you're an ex-JW, they might ask about them and it's my chance to warn them off and tell them what it's really like.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit