Is this how Prince proselytizes?

by TresHappy 22 Replies latest social entertainment

• TresHappy
  • Bryan
    Bryan

Did I hear something about Prince being a witness. That can't be correct... is it?

Bryan

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Apparently the "bad association" rule only applies if you're not rich and famous and shovelling heaps of money in donations in the Watchtower's direction.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Prince is going on his first large-arena tour since becoming a serious JW. And he HAS toned down his act. He's out to promote his new album "Musicology".

Anyhow -- for Bryan -- here's a post to a recent news story linking Prince with the J-dubs. Look at the third paragraph here: http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/4367533.html

Prince with Manuella Cbs

A more pristine Prince

The Grammys gave us a little glimpse into the post-Jehovah's Witnesses stage presence of the Twin Cities' most famous follower of that religion. Instead of provocative buttless breeches, Prince wore a relatively conservative suit in his signature color purple. His chemistry-free frolic with Beyonce & Co. wasn't anywhere near as outrageous as in the pre-JV days when the rocker simulated sex onstage. Perhaps he was being respectful of the presence of his "wife," Manuella/Manuela, in the audience. She looked different to me, but then again he has kept her out of the public eye for a while. He had his arm around her when the camera captured a frame of them after the Luther Vandross tribute. What struck some was that Symbolina wasn't applauding. Never one to follow the crowd, he probably put his hands together eventually for Vandross, who is recovering from a stroke.

• Bryan
    Bryan

Thanks Gofer. Unbelievble. Then again, many stars do go for some really weird cult and relgious stuff.

Bryan

• Gopher
    Gopher

Yes many starts do fall for weird religions like JW's, Scientology, etc.

Larry Graham moved here to Minnesota and helped convert Prince to the JW's. (Larry Graham is a professional singer, formerly of Sly and the Family Stone and Graham Central Station.) I met Larry once and he seemed, on the surface, like a real gentleman. His life story appeared in the Awake magazine.

Prince is trying to be both an active JW and a famous music star. We'll see how long that lasts.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I just happened to catch Prince's appearances oon both the Jay Leno show and on the Ellen show within a couple of days of each other, but on one of them he said that he was promoting his new tour, in "theater-in-the-round" so y'all can get good seats, and he said to bring ALL the family down to this show cuz the youngsters need to get interested in learning music (instruments, etc) and it was all "kid-friendly!

Not being a "Prince" follower, I'm not familiar with his previous songs/lyrics, but from what I can gather from various comments I've seen online---I'd guess that his "style" has definetly changed, huh?

hugs,

Annie

• Princess
    Princess

I caught the tail end of his interview on Ellen. He seemed very uncomfortable but I don't think that is too unusual for Prince. I also heard his comments about people bringing their kids to his concert, that it is "family friendly". That is totally different from his past concerts.

My overall impression was that he is one strange little man.

Rachel

• cypher50
    cypher50

Family friendly? Bring the kids? OH F*CK, the JWs are destroying one of the best Funk artists ever!!! His style has always been full of innuendo & sexual tension...you remove that and you remove an essential part of his musical essence. This is akin to having Cypress Hill stop speaking about weed....

• Mulan
    Mulan

I saw part of an interview he did, and it was obvious he wasn't wearing the makeup he used to wear. He seemed more normal, if that's possible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit