WTS reform - is it possible?

by LoveUniHateExams 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

In threads concerning Islam I've consistently argued for reforming the religion. It unfortunately has pre-Enlightenment doctrines and practices, or at least there exists pre-Enlightenment interpretation of Koranic scripture that support such doctrines and practices. In a lesser way, and on a lesser scale, the WTS too is pre-Enlightenment in a sense.

The blood transfusion issue is the obvious one but there's also shunning, rejection of higher ed and cover up of paedophilia.

It may be tempting to say 'down with the WTS' but if this isn't likely, could reform help to protect loved ones stuck in this cult?  

I vaguely remember reading some time ago of posters on this forum who argued for WTS reform against others who were dead against the WTS.

Are there any people who believe that such a reform is achievable, and if so, what are they doing about it?  

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Forget bringing down or reforming the Watchtower Society and treat them as the irrelevance they really are. Our efforts, ideas and funds should be channelled squarely at the people we love.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

WTS reform!!  Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!

Church of England reform would wind up making it part of the Roman Catholic Church.
    Watchtower reform would make it what- 7th Day Adventists or Unitarians???

• steve2
    steve2

Who would the reform be for? By the time any hoped-for reform happens, what is left of the JW organization? Anyone with half an active brain will already have left, in mind if not body.

The Amish and the Mennonites are examples of religious groups who refused to reform. Their lot? Becoming increasingly irrelevant and side-lined.  I see the same future for the JWs. No, they won't disappear - they will just become increasingly irrelevant and side-lined.

• Ding
    Ding

They had a golden opportunity to reform when Ray Franz was there and look what happened.

A purge...

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Let's see:

"It is a giant printing corporation.  We are not led by God in any mysterious way.  Armageddon is not imminent.   We have always been wrong in the past about our predictions and will no longer predict.  Take blood if you think that is right.  Do not shun your loved ones.  We will open our books for all to see what we do with the money.  Send your kids to college and plan for retirement."

I am sure people could add plenty to that list of needed reforms.  What would be left?  How many would stay? 

• flipper
    flipper
    No, it's beyond reform
  • Half banana
    Half banana

The harder edged and less benign the cult is, the more ardent the followers are. Reform in the WTorg is of course done frequently... but only on one condition. “Will this reform or new light keep the sacred cash cow working?” This is the question the GB ask. If going soft and not shunning, "use blood" etc kept the money coming in, then those reforms will take place.

What the WT org does is little different to which all irrational and ‘holy belief’ organisations do and that is they supply existential hope and ‘religious certainty’ for those addicted to it. They supply it and their clients buy it.

I just wish my children didn’t...

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

"WTS reform - is it possible?"

• Island Man
    Island Man

It's already happening.

Let's be real, Watchtower does change its teachings and policies. We can clearly see efforts on their part to appear more moderate and less extremist to the public. This shows they are aware of their extremism. We have seen reform in the blood issue where they now permit members to have what they call secondary fractions of blood components.

I think that reform will take place/is taking place very gradually without them making any public noise that they are reforming. They can't be seen as acknowledging that they have been very extremist in the past, so they will reform very slowly under the guise of "Jehovah's chariot moving ahead" and getting a clearer understanding of the scriptures as time goes on, and while avoiding use of the term "reform".

They have no choice but to reform in order to remain relevant in this increasingly more enlightened world where bigotry, hate-speech and other disgusting practices are becoming less and less tolerable by society. And they know that they can always spin the scriptures to justify taking a more lenient position on matters they were hardliners about in the past, and all - most - JWs will just blindly go along in the name of loyalty to "the channel that Jehovah is using at this time".

Once it becomes apparent to Watchtower that a hard-line position is more detrimental to their recruitment efforts and is giving them very bad publicity - once it becomes apparent to them that a hard-line position is more of a liability to them than an asset, they will reform that position. We can help in that process by continuing to vocally sensitize and educate the public about their very damaging hard-line policies and practices that destroy families and even result in loss of life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit