Liberal Equals Ex-JW

by patio34 51 Replies latest jw friends

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Interesting topic, and I appreciate the observations. Years ago when I left the JWs, I believe I WAS influenced by their anti-government, everybodys-corrupt, JW stance. I also attended a college with some very liberal professors who simply reinforced that liberal idealism.

Many years and much experience has happened to me since then. I've had a successful career, been thrown into very difficult works situations in which I managed many people, and learned that there is NO WAY you can please all of the people, even some of the time. True leaders are not necessarily going to be popluar. Someone, somewhere is going to despise you and everything you apparently stand for. You cannot allow that to alter your course.

Secondly, I realized as a began making quite a bit of money, establishing an asset base, having children, and yes, generally being more in control of my life, that I do NOT want anyone taking those hard earned things away from me or telling me what I should be doing with them.

Third, I actually lived in Europe on a work assignment. I loved and respected many things about Europe, but I came to the undeniable conclusion about how American I actually am. And proud of it. I finally, fully shed my JW all-the-world's-corrupt-and-is-going-to-be-destroyed upbringing, and moved toward a more practical no-the-world's-not-perfect-but-I-believe-in-life-liberty-and-the-pursuit-of-happiness entitlement I've been blessed with to be born in a free country.

I am NOT concerned with getting everyone's approval: it's not going to happen anyway. I've encountered many tough situations which required strong leadership and vision...and believe me, most people would rather you cave becasue THEY themselves do not have the strength and vision, and frankly, they are afraid.

Sorry for the novel here, but the topic touched a nerve. I've been out 20 years, and YES the JW teachings are obviously still a part of my life. But I had NO choice at that time to be a JW; I was born into it. I do, however, now have many choices in my life.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Oh, and btw, even though I obviously lean to the right, I do NOT in all issues. I believe in abortion; I have no issue with gays marrying (if anyone's defiled the supposed "sacredness" of marriage, it's been hetero unions with the appalling divorce rate), I'm for stem cell research....in a word, I'm secular. I can say with almost certainty that I will NEVER be religious. But I am spiritual. I think there is a very big difference.

My point is that I do not think there are any clear-cut profiles to ex-JWs!

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

L_A_Big_Dawg

Pork Chop,

That's a funny statement.

Sounds more like an un-necessary insult.

-

Ignored One.

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Liberals usually don't have a sense of humor either. Interferes with the hand wringing.

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

Ignored one,

In order to be funny, humor must be based in reality. The facts are there for you to look up if you want to.

In 1993 two researchers (Barry A. Kosmin & Seymor P. Lachman) conducted a survey to discover religious trends within the United States (National Survey of Religious Identification). In this survey the gentleman surveyed 113,000 Americans. According to their survey, 30 religious groups were surveyed (900 Jehovah's Witnesses included). The survey showed that 67.6% of white JWs graduated from high school, as opposed to 80.9% of all the other religions. Of the religious groups the Jehovah's Witnesses ranked 30th with only 4.7% of the responding JWs identifying themselves as college graduates.

Based on this, I found Pork Chop's remark funny. I do commend those that have gone to further their education after they have left the Borg, as I have, and continue to do.

Don't take things so seriously, ignored one. Life is to short to be offended all the time.

• ignored_one
    ignored_one
    In order to be funny, humor must be based in reality. The facts are there for you to look up if you want to.

In 1993 two researchers (Barry A. Kosmin & Seymor P. Lachman) conducted a survey to discover religious trends within the United States (National Survey of Religious Identification). In this survey the gentleman surveyed 113,000 Americans. According to their survey, 30 religious groups were surveyed (900 Jehovah's Witnesses included). The survey showed that 67.6% of white JWs graduated from high school, as opposed to 80.9% of all the other religions. Of the religious groups the Jehovah's Witnesses ranked 30th with only 4.7% of the responding JWs identifying themselves as college graduates.

That would explain the

"Maybe it's an IQ thing, the preponderance of Witnesses aren't that bright"

part of Pork Chops comment. However,

"so percentage wise the preponderance of Xs ought to be liberals. Sounds logical to me."

is just another uncalled for slam on liberals, for which Pork Chop seems fond of, warranted or not.

Had someone made an unwarranted attack on conservatives in this thread I would have understood his reply.

• patio34
    patio34

Hi all,

Sorry I've been gone a bit a lost touch with this thread. It's gotten interesting again. Pork Chop, thanks for the unwarranted, undocumented, unevidenced, uncalled-for slam about liberals and their intelligence. Odd, just from a comment I just read in an English novel in England, liberals were the most educated of groups. I haven't done any research and am just heading out of town this weekend (for a singing debut with my chous in a competition!), so won't trade insults about conservatives. Not that I'd insult a group of my fellow Americans.

Actually, as with Blacksheep (hi!), I'm not completely one way or the other. I respect many Republicans and would vote for one probably if running, such as John McCain. I don't like dishonest bilking social programs either. I'm not "for" abortion either, just that it's not the government's place.

IQ and education level wasn't my basis for thinking a lot of ex-dubs become liberal, though. So I can't really post on that until I know more.

Hi Ignored One, I concur that the 2nd half of PorkChop's statement is unneccessary and is the kind of thing that starts an arguement.

Dear LABigDawg, humor in the form of ridicule and belittling doesn't pass off. Sorry. It was an insult, not plain humor. And then to follow it up with a can't-you-take-a-joke is adding further insult. But then, it really says more about you than it does about the insulted. I'd have to take a better look at your statistics on JWs too to comment.

I think this is a particularly intense election year and calmer heads, lack of insults, and clear reasoning on the issues and candidates is what's called for. To inflame each other by insults just does no good. I don't call into question your IQ, I just disagree with you. If you feel you need to ridicule and put down the opposing side, I'd suggest you get rid of some of your hostility. After all, that's what enemies do, and it's not the same as gentle teasing humor.

But, I don't have time right now! I'm headed off to my singing debut (la, la la!). Please wish me well! I'll be gone all weekend, so won't be able to check back on here.

Love to all!

Pat

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

More and more my viewpoint is validated. Liberals have no sense of humor about themselves.

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

I'm very liberal and I have a pretty good sense of humor about myself.

At least I annoy the heck out of that old lady at work with all my laughing and jokes! ;c)

• talesin
    talesin
    only 4.7% of the responding JWs identifying themselves as college graduates

So this means they're not intelligent? HAHAHAHAHAHA ***LOL*** LOL***

There, I have a sense of humour.

talesin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit