Liberal Equals Ex-JW

by patio34 51 Replies latest jw friends

• patio34
    patio34

Something I've noticed on this board is that there seem to be many more liberal-left types than conservative-right types. What do you think of my following theories?

• In the 70s, many converts to JW-dom were influenced by the anti-establishment philosophy and anti-Viet Nam war. Because the JWs said all governments are wicked, etc. Had I been a conservative type, that wouldn't have appealed to a patriotic, right-wing type.
    Is it plausible that JWs attract(ed) that type of person more often? Therefore, the ex-JWs are predominantly liberals or they wouldn't have considered the JWs to begin with. Even the ones raised as a dub would have been raised by possibly leftist types because of JW doctrine of the governments being under the control of Satan. Yeru, a good debater (if you read this Yeru: ), has never been a JW and is in the military. Imo, JWs don't often attract the type of person that would be military; more of the anti-war group. Furthermore, JWs are not followers (haha! I can hear the disagreement!). But I mean outside the borg and have very independent (ouside the borg, lol) streaks. They stand up to the dislike of their families, neighbors, and workmates. This also makes them possibly "non-party" people. Corruption in politicians is also logical to ex-JWs and isn't any jump for them. That had already been taught repeatedly. They wouldn't be the type to keep giving allegiance to the conservative government that we have (this is NOT a political discussion--just want to say that JWs and ex-JWs would TEND to be independent politically or left-wing). To me, this would help explain all the liberal, left, or at least centrist tendency of this board. They're 99% ex-JWs!

• A related aspect would be that many (most?) of ex-JWs become non-religious, or if not that, they mostly don't join a church. There again, would be the same reasoning as above in that they don't like "organized religion" anyway often or grew not to as a JW. So therefore, are more receptive often to being non-religious.
    So, what do all of you think of my hypotheses? Cheers! Patio
  • Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

patio, isn't it true that many of the farthest to the right (and most vociferous) were part of the recent diaspora to the-board-that-cannot-be-named? Looking at old threads of mine, I notice that many who used to argue the right's position have not posted in some time.

I actually would attribute the mix of comments on the board to the following:

The largest group has not yet formed political opinions, either because they feel that they are not yet well-enough grounded in political thought, or because they are still nauseated by politics.

There are some conservatives who don't discuss politics here any longer, because they feel that the board is not for that purpose, and possibly because Simon is liberal and they feel some imbalance there (I am not saying this is true! I've seen comments about it, but am not agreeing with it.)

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

where do the conspiracy theorists come in? hehehe

I like your hypothesis. I had wondered (concerning my own leftist views) if it's because the right is always using religion to back them up, or they just seem to stand for the same kind of conservative views and attitude I could never stand in my family and the JWs.

• Phantom Stranger
  • Emma
    Emma

Interesting thread! My dad's side of the family definitely fit your description. They were liberal, leftist. Though I was raised in the borg, during the 60's I wished I could stand up against the war in Vietnam, march for civil rights and women's rights. But I towed the line and never even spoke of what was in my heart.

Emma

• Simon
    Simon

I think JWs are more of a right wing christian fundamentalist religion so most current JWs are probably more that way inclined. People may reject the right-wing outlook for the same reasons and at the same time that they reject the religion.

Not everyone will fit this pattern of course.

As for people on this site - I think it's a combination of a certain few who could not dicuss things without resorting to insults (not exclusive to right wing people but the aggressive dogmatism seemed to be more common) and also the circumstances. A lot of people made statements and took up very strongly entrenched positions and with subsequent events, lack of WoMD, Bush looking like a liar etc... I think they find it easier to storm off rather than face the possibility of eating humble pie and admitting that they were just wrong.

Generally though, I think exJWs tend to be more tollerant after their WTS experience and this doesn't fit in with the intollerance of the right. It will for some, but I don't think it does for many.

• Badger
    Badger

Contrawise, Simon and patio, some XJW's may reamin on the right...many of the JW teachings are, as you said, quite conservative. There are those who have little problem with the strict morality and religious aspect of the organization, but instead are at odds with some of their doctrines and dogma. These would not suddenly swing left out of reaction.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Patio, your comments about lefties joining the borg was certainly true in my case. I was baptized in 1973 after doing the whole anti-war thing. The only time I voted pre-borg I went for McGovern. When we left, I reverted to old habits and voted for Dukakis in 1988. As my life has changed my political views have changed. Although I tend toward more conservative positions now, its a reasoned position not a knee jerk. For example I think amending the constitution to ban gay marriage is a horrible idea. If I thought it would make a difference I'd vote Libertarian, but they don't stand a chance in hell of getting in office. Think of me as the conservative equivalent of a Green who held his nose and voted for Gore, because to do otherwise was a vote for Bush. I guess that is the independent streak that shows up in xdubs.

I don't very often comment in politics on this board because it's not why I'm here. I like a good argument, but some of the political threads here are remarkably unpleasant.

• TD
    TD

Interesting Thread. My wife, her folks, her three brothers (JW elders all) all would be best described as socially liberal/morally conservative. Were they to ever leave (dare I hope?) they would certainly gravitate to the left of the aisle. I think JW idealism coupled with their utopian dreams certainly influence this outlook.

Simon;

A lot of people made statements and took up very strongly entrenched positions and with subsequent events, lack of WoMD, Bush looking like a liar etc... I think they find it easier to storm off rather than face the possibility of eating humble pie and admitting that they were just wrong.

That's distessing. I followed those discussions that ensued on this topic. They were both stimulating and amusing. It's truly sad if anyone really had that much invested in the discussion that they would feel the need to leave. (We're supposed to be friends here, right?) All the more so since both sides of the issue are sorely in need of evidence at this point.

Tom

• donkey
    donkey

I personally wish to be identified with neither the Democrats or the Republicans.

Neither side represents my views sufficiently - they are both awful at the things that count.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit