Revelation 22:12 refers to Jesus! (says a recent WT !)

by hooberus 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hooberus
    hooberus

A recent WT (I believe the December 1, or 15, 2003 WT). Has Revelation 22:12 referring to Jesus Christ ! I will give the reference shortly.

"And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be." Revelation 22:12

I believe that the WT last applied this verse to "Jehovah himself." The past application to "Jehovah himself" (only the Father in WT doctrine) was probably because of the Watchtower does not want Witnesses to link verse 12 and 13 with Jesus Christ.

"And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last." Revelation 22:12-13

The Watchtower seems to have flopped (they have fliped-floped before) on this verse again.

• hooberus
    hooberus

Does Revelation 22:12-13 refer to Jesus Christ?

"For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works." Matthew 16:27

"And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:" Revelation 1:17

"And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive;" Revelation 2:8

"Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth." Revelation 2:16

"And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works." Revelation 2:23

"Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown." Revelation 3:11

"Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book." Revelation 22:7

"And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last." Revelation 22:12-13

"He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus." Revelation 22:20

• herk
    herk

hooberus,

You are correct in saying that the WT Society has flip-flopped over the years regarding Revelation 22:12. However, other unitarians have regularly maintained that Jesus is the speaker of that verse.

It is helpful to notice that there are a variety of speakers in Revelation 22. Sometimes they are identified, and sometimes they are not.

• Verses 1-6a - John says he is the speaker.
    • Verses 6b - An angel spoke to John.
    • Verse 7 - This verse is Jesus speaking since he said "Behold, I come quickly." However, there is nothing before or after the verse to identify Jesus as the speaker.
    • Verses 8-9a - John is the speaker.
    • Verses 9b - An angel is the speaker.
    • Verse 10a - John is the speaker.
    • Verse 10b-11 - An angel is the speaker.
    • Verse 12 - Again without an introduction, Jesus is the speaker. He says "And, behold, I come quickly."
    • Verse 13 - Without an introduction, God is obviously the speaker since he calls himself "the Alpha and the Omega."
    • Verses 14-15 - Possibly this is a continuation of what the angel was saying in verse 11.
    • Verse 16 - Jesus identifies himself as the speaker.
    • Verse 17a - John is the speaker, and he introduces "the spirit and the bride."
    • Verse 17b - "The spirit and the bride" do the speaking.
    • Verse 18-20a - Jesus is the speaker since he is the one who bears witness and says "Surely I come quickly."
    • Verse 20b-21 - John is obviously the speaker.

herk

• mineralogist
    mineralogist

I told the wt study conductor after the meeting about this point. He said "And if so - it's only a small fault and doesn't change the whole picture"

• herk
    herk

mineralogist,

Glad you mentioned their typical response.

• Even "a small fault" poses great danger, as when there is a small leak of carbon monoxide into a room.
    • Collectors prize "a small fault" in a coin or stamp because the defect, flaw, blemish or shortcoming is a rarity unexpected in a product presumed to be perfect.
    • Great earthquakes that kill thousands develop from "a small fault."
    • "A small fault" in a tire can lead to a tragic accident on the highway. Etc.

But living in denial is also true of trinitarians. Like JWs they base their beliefs upon a few texts open to dispute while ignoring the main thrust of the Scriptures.

herk

• herk
    herk

Who is the speaker in Revelation 22:12? In comments specifically addressed to that verse, the WT Society has said the following:

• "Jesus ... said ... 'Look! I am coming quickly, ...'" (7/1/55 WT, p. 387)
    • "Jehovah says: 'Look! I am coming quickly, ...'" (11/15/67 WT, p. 680)
    • "Almighty God ... is the One who comes in the capacity of a judge to reward and to punish individuals according to their works." (8/22/78 AW, p. 28)
    • "Jesus again stresses the suddenness with which he comes: ' ... Look! I am coming quickly, ... '" (10/1/78 WT, p. 15)
    • "God himself describes, in his last recorded words in the Bible, the outcome ...: 'Look! I am coming quickly, ...'" (6/15/88 WT, p. 20)
    • "The expression ... in verse 12, does not require that these aforementioned verses apply to Jesus, inasmuch as God also speaks of himself as 'coming' to execute judgment." (Insight on the Scriptures, Vol. 1, p. 81)
    • "Jehovah, the King of eternity, now addresses readers of Revelation for the last time in the prophecy, saying: "Look! I am coming quickly, ... '" (Revelation Climax, 1988, p. 316)
    • "Jehovah himself states: 'Look! I am coming quickly, ...'" (12/1/99 WT, p. 19)

herk

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    it's only a small fault and doesn't change the whole picture

If that wasn't so serious, it'd be hilarious!! "A small fault" indeed! The fact that they don't know who God is, is only "a small fault"? Good grief! And this from the so-called "true christians"!

• herk
    herk

ozziepost,

In fairness, I think the JW reference to "a small fault" is to the waffling in interpretation of the text, not to knowing God's identity.

herk

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day herk,

I take your point but doesn't it also go to the heart of the Dubs' being unable to support their notion of who God is?

Cheers, Ozzie

• herk
    herk

Ozzie,

Thanks. I wouldn't argue with you about that. Going back and forth in their explanation of Revelation 22:12 certainly doesn't help their cause against the Trinity doctrine. But as I see it, one of the major faults of the JWs is their brushing aside of each of their errors as "a small fault." The accumulation of all these so-called "small faults" is monumental evidence that JWs are not truly Christian in many of their teachings and practices.

herk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit