Elders and Servants

by Bryan 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Bryan
    Bryan

I believe the body of elders was created in the early 70's, as opposed to the one elder running the show. Please correct me if I am wrong. My question is... 1963, where there servants under the presiding elder?

Thanks,

Bryan

• SadElder
    SadElder

The elders arrangement was announced, I believe, at conventions in 1972, and went into effect officially in 1973. May be off a year on this, didn't have time to research it. The elders arrangements went throgh several transitions to reach it's present state. At one time each elder served in each position and then rotated to another after a year. The idea was to have every elder eventually serve as Presiding for a year and then move on. Actually was a good idea that wouldn't work because of the butt heads who are often appointed as elders.

Prior to the eldub arrangement there was a congregation servant who was "in charge". This could be good or bad. Most often bad. Egos galore. And when the elders arrangement was announced those egos really stood out.

In addition to the Congregation Servant (who also conducted the Watchtower Study) was the "Assistant" Congregation Servant and the Bible Study Servant (I actually swerved as Bible Study Servant at age 18). These three made up what was known as the congregation committee. They handled all the dirty stuff, so to speak, and in areas where there were lots of family, this arrangement often created powerful dub dynasties that could not be overthrown. Other 'Servants' were the Ministry School Servant, Magazine Territory Servant, and don't forget the then named Book Study Servant or Conductor, now affectionately called the Congregation Book Study Overseer. (I served as a CBS Conductor at 16)

• Bryan
    Bryan

Thanks sadelder,

I was told my father was a servent in '63. Just trying to figure it out.

Bryan

• willyloman
    willyloman

Without looking it up, sad elder's recollection seems right on to me.

• codeblue
    codeblue

Hi Bryan...sorry I don't have an answer for ya, too far back for me.

Just wanted to welcome you to the board....noticed you are pretty new here!

Hope you are enjoying your stay here, there are a lot of nice people. If you get a chance to meet anyone from the board, I highly recommend it. I have recently met a few. It's great to put faces with the words we read!

Codeblue

• garybuss
    garybuss

When I started my slavery under my father's orders when I was 7, the local leader was called Company Servant. Congregations were called Companies. There was a pyramid of untrained volunteers under him, assistant, etc, all referred to as Company this or that.

Actually that "Company" title reflected the true nature of the group. In 1950 they still denied being a religion.

• Bryan
    Bryan

codeblue,

Thanks for the warm greeting. I live in Plano and hope to go to the Apastafest (sp). I don't mean to repeat http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/67127/2.ashx

..but, I left for the last time a little over 10 years ago. The last two years, I was literally yelled at, and raked by elders, and had a brain injury in the middle of it all. Years later one of those elders called me and said, "they had new information about head injuries." (Isn't that sweet!) I told him all he did was kick me while I was already down, and to never call me again... "click". So, needless to say I didn't want to hear, see or smell anything of a witness. Because of the fear these men instilled in me, it has only been the last year that have begun to research the ex-witness info out there, and I must say I am very pleased.

I am working on a project at the moment and wil be asking many questions this year.

Thanks, Bryan

P.S. How many of the borg do you suppose lurk in here? ;-)

• Puternut
    Puternut
    P.S. How many of the borg do you suppose lurk in here? ;-)

Quite a few actually. From what I understand, there could even be some of the WT's lawyers that take notes from this board.

Puternut

• talesin
    talesin

SadElder,

this is how I remember it as well.

You are so right about the control exerted by some of these families.

We had a very powerful family who controlled the East of Canada with an "iron fist", at least that's how I have always thought of it. You have no idea how much it means to me to hear you speak of this. It validates my whole childhood. Thanks!!!

Bryan,

Good luck with it! Be safe, be careful.

talesin

• codeblue
    codeblue

Bryan:

So sorry to hear about the obvious "lack of love" you experienced in your life from the elders..who are suppose to shepherd the flock with such tenderness.

Actually, that is the very thing that brought me to this website...that and seeing the Dateline special almost 2 years ago exposing the child pedophile issue within the WTBS....I despise hypocrisy...

Mr. CB grew up with a member on this board, and somehow they got reunited after we relocated about a year ago, thru a high school website. They attended the same KH during their early teen life.

She sent Mr. CB a letter about her life in the truth(tm)...I almost fell over as to the unloving treatment she received. Mr. CB had received bad treatment way before I met him....She mentioned something about this site...of course, I couldn't go here because we were told not to read from the internet. However, she got Mr.CB to answer someone's question, because it deals with his field of expertise at work. I wanted to read his response...and I started reading more people's experiences, and I realized that I felt more at home here than I did at the KH...wow...what a shock.

Yes, I agree with Puternut's answer. I have heard there are designated elders reading this site as a lookout for ones in their kh that might be posting here...I guess you know why some remain so anonymous?

Codeblue

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit