What "CAUSES" a molested child to hurt? (Warning: Possible Triggers)

by gumby 195 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I'm learning a lot on this thread one of the things I really like is to use the word survivor and not victim, yes we all are survivors!

Another thing I just wish to state is regarding Gumby's question of suppressed memories and Lady Lee's reply:

with trauma do not recommend forcing memories out through hypnosis. it can be done sometimes but if the person is not really ready for the memory it could put them in crisis mode. It is therapeutically better to deal with what one already knows. Forming a stable basis for ongoing work is crucial to recovery. And the whole point of therapy is to help a person be stable - not continually keeping them in a state of crisis.

I was told by my therapist that our mind won't let us recall things until we are ready to handle it. As scary as it is when the memories come back somehow that statement helped me in the crisis time because I knew I was ready, maybe not so willing but it did give me strength to face things and do the work in therapy instead of trying to suppress it all again. Actually once it comes out suppressing it leads to depression, anger and all kinds of ugly emotions at least for me it did.

Now Gumby you've seen how this can and does affect a child seriously the hurt goes on and on.....One thing I must add to this is many here have shared their abuse stories and they are gut wrenching for one to read. I can't imagine actually living through what some children have had to cope with. These are incredible strong wonderful people who have shared their stories.

What I'm trying to say Gumby is my story is nothing like what many have told us about them. I had two men when I was 5 and 11 grope me ie; hands down my shirt and panties. I got away but told no one. I felt dirty, shameful and internally took it on as something was wrong with me for these men to think they could do that to me! It was 20 years later when I told my Mom! She said if I had told her and my Dad back then my Dad probably would have gone after those men and done some bad damage. I don't know. My Dad never molested me but my younger sister says he did her. When I reached my teens I know I didn't like some of the looks my Dad gave me or some of the comments he would say, they were out of line. My sister was 5 years younger than me and my Dad was very deep into his alcoholism then so I think things were different for my sister. BTW she is diagnosed with schizophrenia.

For some reason I always kept my kids away from my Dad, meaning they were never alone with him. I don't know why I did that when I did it, but I just did. I hadn't uncovered my abuse during the time my children were young but indistinctly I protected them from anyone who seemed to me to be suspicious.

My experience by no way was as horrible as some have had and yet the feelings were pretty much the same. Do you see how little it can take for a child to be damaged and hurt? We haven't even discussed a child who has never been physically molested but suffers daily verbal abuse. Same feelings, same dammage.........it all hurts!

You survivors are an incredible bunch of people, please never stop talking and helping others.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((grouphug)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Kate

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday
    On an open forum? How would you weed out the predator from reading your post?

If you read my post completely I was referring to a PM i recieved. He started out asking questions about myself...as if he just wanted to be friends...then he started getting too personal about my nieces molest.

If people want to go into detail about their experiences on an open forum that is their business...but I think the new people need to know that just because we are all exjws ,that doesn't mean everyone here has their best interest at heart.

I think there are sexual predators here that are most likely getting off on this thread.From the many PMs and emails I'm getting ,I'm not alone.

Done with this thead.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I agree. The best counsel is from those who have walked a mile in the same shoes.

We are not paid to sympathize. For some, the most immediate concern is to seek professional help. But for many, myself included, the best medicine is to relate this way.

There is something empowering about sharing our experiences in a more open way sort of like group therapy without the confrontation. I like it.

Absolutely, LW! I went to group therapy one time for the molestation issues and there were two male psychologists, who'd had no personal experiences of molestation, heading up the group discussion. When I attempted to make a point, they wouldn't let me finish what I was saying...just cut me off.....I stood up and told them and the group that when the male psychologists grew tits, shaved their legs, wore pantyhose and had a history of sexual abuse inflicted on them, I'd come back to listen up, but until then they could "va-ka-ka"

Frannie B

• little witch
    little witch

Ruby,

You are absolutly right!

As I stated on another thread today, be sure you are ready to share your comments with the world, and have them transferred, sometimes for dubious reasons.

This thread is not for the faint of heart, that is for sure.

Thanks Ruby for your warning. It needed saying.

• blondie
    blondie

Frannie, I wish I could have been there!

stood up and told them and the group that when the male psychologists grew tits, shaved their legs, wore pantyhose and had a history of sexual abuse inflicted on them, I'd come back to listen up, but until then they could "va-ka-ka"

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

My heart aches for you BT and Nina and LW ahd hubby.

I have sat and watched while people sob in their chair or in my arms and revert to that child-like state as they relive the horrors of the past.

I am always awestruck at the human will to survive the most horrendous abuses and to later find the will and strength to overcome and move beyond.

I've had people tell me they could not die because they were protecting younger siblings from the same kind of abuse or tell me that they tried many times to end their lives but the abuser always intervened. I was too scared that if I tried and didn't succeed I would be even more vulnerable to my abusers.

There are some excellent books for the partners of survivors (who may wind up suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder by Proxy due to the support they give their partners)

• Adult Children As Husbands, Wives, And Lovers: By Steven Farmer
    • Allies In Healing By Laura Davis
    • Ghosts In The Bedroom By Ken Graber
    • Outgrowing The Pain Together Eliana Gil
    • Partners In Recovery By Beverly Engel
  • Valis
    Valis
    As I stated on another thread today, be sure you are ready to share your comments with the world, and have them transferred, sometimes for dubious reasons.

LW, what also needs saying before everyone gets overly paranoid. If anyone is being stalked, getting PMs from someone looking to cause harm, etc then they need to contact a Forum Assistant. If someone doesn't contact one of us then all that is hearsay and should not be purported on a thread like this IMO. It is touchy enough without getting eveyone paranoid and afraid to voice how they feel. So, let us know, otherwise please everyone don't post that kind of stuff without showing us proof.

edited cuz I didn't want LW to think I was talking about her...Oh and thanks for the PM exchange LW....

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• little witch
    little witch

Valis,

I would never cause emotional harm to anyone here, I am not sure where that came from...

My point was simply an internet reality. That this is not (nor is any other site) insulated.

I am not placing blame, nor am I being stalked...

My thoughts and posts made here (as well as other sites) have been transfered to other sites via cut and paste.

That is not a criticism, just a reality.

I am so very sorry if I have caused harm...I just didn't want someone to post out of emotion and get hurt in any further way.

• Valis
    Valis

LW...no that was just a cautionary post just like yours. You are exactly right about being careful of what you reveal. No problems there, but the last thing we want is for people to think there are a bunch of stalking creeps that post here. And ya it has happened, but when it does we have to be informed. Otherwise just mentioning it may cause a general feeling of paranoia that may set in and nobody wants that. Have a good day and thanks for your pertinent POV.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

This site and thread is a wonderful opportunity for some of us to get and give support and information.

But it isn't for everyone.

I don't openly announce this but I have a private closed forum for some posters who need the support but for whatever reasons do not post on an open board. If anyone wants to participate please PM me. If I know you or someone will vouch for you (you are a participant here or they are) I can send you the information to access the forum.I am limiting this to people I know so that we can protect the safety of the people already there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit