Double Standards in the JW world

by nevaagain 21 Replies latest jw friends

• smiddy
    smiddy

You don`t need to watch the news on T.V .or buy newspapers , you just need to read "Watching The World " in the back of the "Awake" magazine to keep up with what is important.( six months later of course)

I was conned into believing their were no leaders in the "Truth" , Joe blow would give his talk from the platform , later sat down and listened to silly Billy give his talk followed by crazy Colin , and everybody was equal , no distinctions between anybody .What a naïve dickhead I was.

smiddy

• minimus
    minimus

Great great thread!

The religion I grew up in is not the same religion of today.

the faithful slave belief has been changed and if a person maintained that it was just the GB in the 1970s, they would have been disfellowshipped for apostasy. The same goes for saying some blood fractions were ok or that transplants were a conscience matter or that the Theocratic Ministry School was essential...and the list goes on and on.

Either you have the truth or you don't. It can't keep changing. People die for the truths they are taught and for what?? An error, a lie, a faux pas????

Disgusting.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp
    Something clicked in me when I watched one of the Elders get up on the stage and read the anti education Watchtower a few years ago. His children are all in college. I had a WTF moment and that is when something changed in me. I have nothing against education (I am all for it) but the double standards are just incredible!
  • WingCommander
    WingCommander

Elder's motto: "Do as we say, not as we do."

Org's Motto: "The beatings will continue, until morale improves."

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Beards. Try finding a written prohibition in any of the dublications on this. Try finding many bearded 'brothers(TM)' in 'privileged(tm)' positions....let alone on any a$$emb£y programme.
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

In the matter of Paul v. Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc., Circuit Judge Stephen Reinhardt, United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, opined that:

"The Witnesses … have developed an elaborate set of rules governing membership."

Now if a judge from the US Court of Appeals says the have elaborate rules, then you really know they have elaborate rules!

• Simon
    Simon
    Beards. Try finding a written prohibition in any of the dublications on this. Try finding many bearded 'brothers(TM)' in 'privileged(tm)' positions....let alone on any a$$emb£y programme.

They do exist in the WTS ... be like Jesus ... Jesus with a beard ... no beards!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Simon - Indeed. I remember the old 'paradise lost' book that had pictures of Jesus with no beard. Then he had a beard in later publications. I should have known then I was in a cult....but hey, I was only a kid...............incapable of beard growth.
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

The Watchtower is the master of the double standard.

We hate child abuse! (but we don't call the authorities unless it's required by law).

A person who sexually abused children would never be appointed an elder! (well, hardly ever, just under certain circumstances, like a whole year passed since he got caught, or we really need elders, or no one found out about it, or....)

We never pass the collection plate, because God loves a cheerful giver! (but we send multiple request for donations in a month and forced congregations to pony up all their cash).

We value honesty in all things, going so far as to disfellowship chronic liars! (but we use 'theocratic warfare' and lie about our history, beliefs and practices).

The United Nations is the scarlet colored beast as spoken of in Revelations, it's existence is an affront to god! (but we secretly joined it, then lied about the reason).

Families are very important to us! (but we break them up with our harsh disfellowshipping policies).

We care about our young people! (But we have the lowest retention rate of any religion).

We don't allow gossip (unless it's done by the elders of course).

Our congregations are a spiritual paradise ! (but don't ask us about the suicides and depression rates).

Jehovah is a happy God! (But he is really, really hard to please, mess up and you die at the big A).

Preaching the good news about God's kingdom is the most important thing we do! (But most of the hours reported are either exaggerated, completely faked or spent on aimless driving around and coffee breaks.

• WHATSGOINGON
    WHATSGOINGON

Well after my comments the other day about the gospel type music videos I just saw another one on the site.

Its called 'finding treasures' he he.

Here is the link (copy and paste it though, just in case)

http://tv.jw.org/#en/video/VODMusicVideos/pub-jwbon_201510_1_VIDEO

I dont know what to say......

Enjoy,lol.

WGO

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit