How Do You Cope With Stress?

by shamus 26 Replies latest jw friends

• shamus
    shamus

SS,

Thank you so much for that advice. Man oh man, you are right... er rather your dad was... er watever.

I am just looking back and seeing what is wrong. Thanks for making this make sense. Make sense? Jeez, I am worrying about a situation that has not even happened yet. I do need to steer my own boat, so to speak. I'll do that from now on. Or at least try to.

Gary, You're right too. Eliminate stress when you can. Unfortunately my brain tells me what stress is and it isn't even stressful. Make sense?

Paxil back to 30mg, me thinks.... dam, I want to be off my meds so badly.

• Mulan
    Mulan

calcium supplements, Essential Fatty acids and B vitamins. All of them help with the nervous system. When I feel especially stressed, I take several of my stress formula, which is mainly B vitamins, and 2-3 calcium.

• Love_Truth
    Love_Truth

I don't ever have that problem, but maybe that's because of my attitude or something I do. So here goes:

I have always "worked to live, rather than lived to work". I don't let work become part of my life; I fulfill my duties, then forget all about it, (except on rare occasion), until the next day. So, "Live day by day", I guess.

I find that regular exercise and sex (and sexcercise, lol) prevent stress, that's a major contributor to my lack of stress, too.

Listening to relaxing music, having a few brews, an occasional spliff, lounging in the hot tub nightly, watching a good comedy, snuggling with my girlfriend, these things contribute to my lack of stress as well.

One more thing- I don't take most things too seriously, (including work), it's life, and your attitude in living it is the number one thing that determines your outlook and responses to events in life.

That's my two cents,

Love_Truth

• patio34
    patio34

Oh, I'm so glad you asked this question as I just discovered something that really works for me instantly (with mild stress, so far).

I've been reading Deepak Chopra (highly highly recommend it!!).

Anyway, what I do (from his book kind of) when I'm feeling a negative thought or stress is immediately turn my attention and focus inward and think

• how is my stomach responding to this?
    • how's my heart?
    • this isn't good for me inside.

And then that shift in focus seems to dissipate the stress. As I said, that's mild stress.

• I also, from his book, say when I'm rushed "I have all the time in the world." I go at the same pace, but instantly calm down.

The names of the books I'm reading are something about Ageless Body and Endless Time or something like that. Not at all what I expected, completely non-religious and about preserving your body as well as you can. Great reads!!

Pat

• shotgun
    shotgun

Patio..I've heard others mention that book I'll mave to read it..

Shamus...watching a funny movie always helps me...a good laugh seems to cleanse the stress...although that is not a permanent solution it helps for a while.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

A really simple working definition of stress is, "when you are resisting the way things are".

When one is feeling like a victim of outside forces and individuals, it's easy to feel stressed out about it. However, we always play a role in setting up our lives and the situations within them. When we can accept that we played a responsible role in creating the situation, it reminds us (hopefully) that we also play a responsible role in the resolution... diluting the sense of powerlessness that contributes to the feeling of stress in many folks.

Additionally, many find that positive affirmations over time will help - in that the more confident you are in your own value, the less you fear a particular situation "blowing up" and making you feel worthless.

In a physical way, I do breathing exercises throughout the day - for stress management, yes, but also to relax parts of the body that tend to tense up. Yoga is very helpful in keeping the body invigorated and relaxed... holding tension can create pain which starts a loop.

I also do volunteer work, so that I can be forcefully reminded that my lot in the world is very, very good indeed - and because I beleive that happiness is a side effect, not an end.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

JACK DANIELS

• patio34
    patio34

Phantom, those are very very good things to remember. I just got a Yoga video that I'll start using this very afternoon.

Stilla, I'm afraid ol' Jack will contribute his own stress after relieving it, lol.

Pat

• garybuss
    garybuss
    Gary, You're right too. Eliminate stress when you can. Unfortunately my brain tells me what stress is and it isn't even stressful. Make sense?

Then reframe what you think is stress. Have you had any lessons on how to reframe? GaryB

• talesin
    talesin

shamus

As far as the job is concerned, I used to feel the same way ...

Then, I realized that if I was run down by a bus tomorrow, they would feel sad, for sure, but guess what? The business would go on ... I wouldn't be missed.

On that note, I decided to take a hard look at the attitudes of management. All in all, the workers are expendable. If YOU had special needs; ie., were sickly, had children taking you away from work or for some other reason need their 'understanding', that would be just TOO BAD. See ya!

OTOH, they have no problem with guilting you out over leaving. Total bulls**t! Give your one week's notice, and don't feel guilty!!! They would have no problem letting you go if the shoe was on the other foot! You are giving the required notice, hell, after 4 months you could quit on the spot if you chose (at least in my province that would be legal).

Enjoy this transition instead of feeling guilty. It's only business, you're not betraying anyone!

take care, congrats on the new job!

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit