JWs called on me this am......me FROZEN

by ScoobySnax 29 Replies latest jw friends

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

You know the drill.....

Knock at the door...... I was expecting the engineer from Hoover who was coming to fix my washing machine today, instead the second I opened the door, I somehow knew it wasn't him. A young couple, pleasent looking and genuinely nice began the spill I have done so many times, and yet rather than say something, I just sort of froze, and went into the interested householder role. I felt like I was in the TMS again on the stage doing a presentation. I didn't recognise them at all from my old congregation, and took the magazines from them. When I'd shut the door, I felt a bit bad that I didn't say who I was or rather what I was. I sort of feel guilty that they may have marked me down as an "interested one" and maybe a "return visit", I kept thinking today, what if they bring someone back next week who recognises me from the cong. I'm gonna look a right prat.

It was almost like the same feeling when I was active, and colleagues at work would sell raffle tickets, or someone would say they didn't believe in God.......I felt I should say something, but just couldn't or hesitated, and then the moment passed. What a weird feeling.

What to do eh?!

• integ
    integ

Shoot them.

• integ
    integ

...unless it's my Mom.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Scooby, its natural to react that way when we're caught off-guard. No wonder you were basically silent and didn't say too much to them. I probably would have done the same. Hey, I was so paranoid in those days, that I'd make certain who was at the door, and if I didn't know them, I simply wouldn't answer the door. Then I began to get braver and I'd answer the door, and then I'd tell them that I used to be a JW. They'd want to know what that meant, was I disfellowshipped. When I told them no, they seemed relieved.

More recently--well about two years ago--there was the nicest JW lady who came to the door, and I was just my happy self, and she was going on and on about the end of the world, etc., and I said a couple things that blew her away. She said she'd been having doubts of her own and would love to come back to talk to me about how "I managed to be so at peace". She never did. Another time, it was an adult and a young child, and I just told them I really appreciated them taking time to do what they were doing, but that I was very happy NOT being a JW anymore. They never came back either. No one ever leaves literature in the door anymore, like we used to do years ago.

Some day, the butterflies will leave the pit of your stomach, and you will be able to be relaxed even in the presence of a JW or two. They have no power over us unless we allow them the power. I let go of that a long time ago and it sure feels great.

/<

In fact--what's going on with door to door? Am I already "marked" as someone to stay away from? There hasn't been anyone here in ages. I never see the literature around places anymore either.

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Sentinel....... good reply

Its not that they hold anything over me, and neither would I want to trip them up (or shoot them! thanku Integ!) over anything, most here know of my feelings towards JWs, I'm in no way anti anything they preach about. Its just I was more amazed at myself for standing there like a lemon, with my tongue cut out! I just felt a bit guilty for playing dumb.

I will feel a bit daft if they return with someone I know or rather who knows me though!

• Special K
    Special K

I agree with whoever said .. they caught you off guard.

You were expecting someone there who was going to fix something or other.

You were sort of left speechless.

Well, you took the magazines so they will be back sometime or other..

Now, you can prepare yourself mentally for when they do return and what you'd like to say..

don't be so hard on yourself, snooby. I'm not.

sincerely

Special k

• Carmel
    Carmel

Well if you're really serious about the possibility of a follow-up call, set down and analyze the Watchcrap you took and volunteer to "go over it with them" to "make sure of all things". Introduce some juicy tidbits about anything the articles are trying to say and turn the tables on them. What a great watchflower study you could have....

carmel

• Nan
    Nan
  • Nan
    Nan

Opps! Sorry about the double post!

Scooby, I agree with Carmel. You are in a great position to help JWs see the falsehoods of the WTS. You have BEEN THERE and know it inside and out. What a thrill it would be to help someone out of the clutches of this cult! Start thinking of a strategy for the next time they come knockin'.

Nan

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

No!...... Its not a thing with me to want to argue or disagree with them, I don't. I was just saying I felt a coward for keeping my gob shut about the past. I have no trouble with being vocal at work in my job with challenging medical decisions over patient care or treatment with consultants etc..... It was just in the instance I was struck dumb.

Like on here its easyto be vocal behind a screen, but then all of a sudden when you're faced with reality a funny numbing process takes over....or something like that.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit