ex-JW life -- Reality vs. Fantasy

by Seeker 17 Replies latest jw friends

• circe
    circe

Hey Seeker,

It's been too long!

Some years ago, when I first started attending JW meetings, it was mentioned (probably the Service Meeting) that apostates were going to be picketing the District Convention that our congregation was assigned to attend.

I pictured wild eyed, snarled haired, snagly toothed women and men screaming obsenities at convention attendees while chasing the innocent convention go-ers around the parking lot, brandishing their picket signs like clubs. I could almost see the demons floating in the background urging the apostates to do bodily harm to the Witnesses.

I was afraid to attend the Convention!

I'd like the lurkers to know that JW apostates (with the exception of Farkel) aren't like that at all. :D Kidding!

Circe

• Seeker
    Seeker

circe!

How nice to see you again. Hope you and hubby are well and happy.

Welcome to this place. Ain't it nicer than the old H2O?

• Prisca
    Prisca

I must be a unusual ex-JW, according to the propaganda the WTS tells the rank and file about ex-JWs....

Because :

I'm not disfellowshipped, nor have I disassociated myself (though I have thought about it).

I am not sexually promiscuous. I never "strayed" while I was a JW, and now that I am out, it's not like I am sleeping with a different guy every week!

I don't smoke, I don't take drugs, and although I like the occasional drink, I'm not the sort of person who'll go out and get herself drunk.

I don't even swear!

I've never picketed an assembly. I'd love to, in the manner of outnfree - you go girl! My only form of "protest" is what I say here, and also my quietly leaving the cong without a good reason why. I let my feet do the talking!

Depression? Had it since I was 11, though it has lifted somewhat since I left. I feel better about myself, I have more confidence in my decisions, and I have learnt not to be co-dependant upon a religion that falsely claims to be chosen by God.

I did not leave because I "couldn't live up the standards", or "secretly did something wrong and got caught". I lived up to all the standards of the org, yet knew there was something wrong, without fully being able to put my finger on it. Finally all the pieces started to be put together, and I realised that I conscienciously could no longer support a corrupt organization. Jehovah IS NOT using them. It was so obvious. I left willingly, despite losing my "friends" in the process.

And I have to say my life is MUCH happier since I left. I do not regret the decision I have made!

• TR
    TR

Excellent, Seeker.

My situation doesn't fit the WTS DF mold either. I was too stressed from cong.responsibilities/unbelieving mate/work/kids, trying to find a balance. So I walked away, only to learn more about the borg later. I don't do drugs, drink, or have I ever cheated on my wife, I have a thriving business, enjoy more quality time with my kids and the rest of my family since I don't have to "restrict" my association with them anymore.

Circe,

I pictured wild eyed, snarled haired, snagly toothed women and men screaming obsenities at convention attendees while chasing the innocent convention go-ers around the parking lot, brandishing their picket signs like clubs. I could almost see the demons floating in the background urging the apostates to do bodily harm to the Witnesses.

ROTFLMAO! Sounds like some of the stinky, sweaty dubs at the Hall!

TR

"Kults Suk"

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Hi Seeker! I know you were'nt criticizing lifestyles, but I just feel so free and good about my choices and unashamed I just had to share them with the group! My Higher Power is a loving, non-judgemental Spirit, who allows us all FREE WILL! BTW, I really enjoyed your analysis of WTS tactics. Keep posting, I'll visit often just for edumucation purposes! : - )

Love and Light,

Terri

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Seeker,

Bravo! Well said, my friend...but that is what I've come to expect of you

I agree with your assessment of WT tactics and am chagrined to remember how I fell for the BS hook, line, and sinker. I am DA'd, because I felt it was the honorable thing to do...but I certainly have been villified by my JW family members and the elders in my old congregation, merely because I refused to allow a child molester to go unpunished. So in their minds, I am the evil apostate Dana (like the 'dwead piwate Woberts' from Princess Bride LOL)and you know what?? I'm sure there are many of my old friends and extended family members who believe this is true of me, and I just don't care. Life is wonderful on the outside and I for one am enjoying the hell out of being 'evil'.

Thanks for a great post...you should write a book, or somethin'

Dana

"A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born."
    Antoine de Saint-Exupery

• Cautious
    Cautious

Thanks for the post Seeker

it doesn't fit their agenda

And they make sure they set that agenda. Funny thing is, although they send out “minutes” for their meetings, there doesn’t seem to be any room left for “general” items, or for any real questions from the audience. The “elite” sets the agenda, and the R&F cannot add or subtract from it.

These days I wouldn’t consider going to a meeting which was set in concrete before it even began. At this point I’ll leave out the bit about the role allotted to women by this agenda, or this post would be a very long one.

Cautious

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Seeker, you said: "Welcome to this place. Ain't it nicer than the old H2O?"

In what way? This place is good, but the old h2O was a pretty fine place to IMHO. There the topics stayed in the same order and it was easier to find them later if one wanted to go back to an old thread. Here they keep jumping around.

I have not noticed moderator problems here though and that is a pleasure, so far. Anyway, the old H2O was my introduction to free speach after the WTS and it was a very special place for me.

Just thought I'd stick up for an old friend.

Regards,

Sam Beli

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit