ex-JW life -- Reality vs. Fantasy

by Seeker 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker
    Seeker

What are the lives of ex-JWs really like? The WTS tells JWs one thing, but is what they say reality, or fantasy?

A common technique used by the WTS to express their viewpoint while avoiding the truth of the matter is to focus on the specific and imply that it is the general.

Let me explain: Do you know of any ex-JWs who were disfellowshipped for immorality? Of course, it's not uncommon. The WTS will use specific examples of this nature and generalize it to imply that everyone who leaves or gets thrown out is doing something wrong. This way of thinking is so ingrained into the mind of active JWs, that they assume that everyone who left did so because they "couldn't live up the standards", or "secretly did something wrong and got caught". The fact that thousands upon thousands of ex-JWs left the organization, not because they did anything "wrong," but because they conscientiously decided they could no longer support a corrupt organization.

Another example of this technique: Do you know of any ex-JWs who now lead sexually promiscuous lives? Sure, some do this. The WTS will use these specific examples and generalize it to imply that everyone who leaves the organization "returns to the vomit." Ignoring whether sexual promiscuity is wrong or not, note that the vast majority of those who leave the organization remain or get into sexually monogamous relationships. This majority is ignored by the WTS, since it doesn't fit their agenda. They would rather focus on the few specific cases, and ignore the wider general population.

Another exmaple: Do you know any ex-JWs who picket assemblies? Sure, we're even discussing an example on the board right now. The WTS will use these specific examples and generalize it to imply that all "apostates" are wild-eye, vindictive, trouble-makers who are being used by Satan. Again, ignoring whether or not picketing is a helpful task or not, note that the majority of those who leave the organization never speak out publicly against the WTS in any way. Most lead quiet, ordinary lives at peace with all around them.

Another example: Do you know any ex-JWs who are depressed? Sure, depression can strike any of us. The WTS will use these specific examples to generalize that all those who leave the organization are miserable over their status. Ignoring that most person's depression has little to do with their status, note that the vast majority of ex-JWs are very happy about their lives and hopeful of their future. But this gets ignored by the WTS for it does not fit their agenda.

If you are a lurking JW, don't accept that when the WTS reports on those who leave that they are giving you the whole story. If they provide anecdotal evidence of thier point, ask yourself what the general population of ex-JWs is really like. Look around here, for instance, and look with an open mind at the way most of us act, and ask yourself if this fits the stereotype the WTS wants to paint us as. Note what the reality is, not just the fantasy that is fed to you.

And when you notice that the WTS hasn't been telling you the whole story, ask yourself: Why not?

• bigboi
    bigboi

Hey Seeker:

It's just the cult's attempt to vilify ppl who leave. In my opinion the org is like a massive gang that wants to make it as difficult as possible for it's members to leave. I believe that the majority of witnesses wouldn't stick around for as long as they do with all the crap they see going on inside the org. However after being in so long and having built your entire life around the org and it's practices it's really hard for most to leave. it's just another way that this cult abuses it's members.

ONE....

Bigboi

"it ain't what ya do. it's how you do it" quote from the song "True Honeybunz" by Bahamadia

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster
    you know of any ex-JWs who now lead sexually promiscuous lives? Sure, some do this.

One vote for promiscuous.

Slipnslidemaster: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

• JT
    JT

seeker on the money as always

yes in fact as an elder i would use the example of those who may have gotten into "Destructive behavoir or relationships" as reasons not to LEAVE THE TRUTH and it would scare the sh!t out of folks-

we recently had a number of dfed jw over to our house and they could not beleive how we were living our lives - NO DRUGS NO CRACK , NOT STEALING , ETC

for they have been told that if you leave your life goes down the toilet and when they can see examples of those whose lives are "INTACT"
    they begin to see that there is indeed life after wt

great post my man

james

• JeffT
    JeffT

We got out in 1989. Since then I've been working better jobs, making more money, enjoyed a VERY good relationship with my wife and kids. We go to church regularly, and keep up a good spiritual life. No drugs, no sex outside marriage etc.

The borg scare tactics have no relationship with reality.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Hi Seeker! I have to say it and be honest about it "I resemble your remarks"! I am an ex-JW who was disfellowshipped. I was disfellowhipped for spiritism and border line immorality. Do I give two hoots about what people think? NO! Do I do drugs or get drunk? No, so I guess that's one thing in my favor. I'm totally comfortable with the choices I have made in my life, and I take full responsibility for these choices. Do I feel like I am a responsible, contributing member of society? Absolutely! : - ) And, most of all, I actually like myself now!

Terri

• Seeker
    Seeker

Good for you, Sunnygal. I wasn't criticising lifestyle choices, of course, just pointing out how the WTS focuses so narrowly on certain types of ex-JWs that they make it seem everyone is like that.

• qwerty
    qwerty

Seeker

Good post, we need more of that sort of thing.

Enjoyed reading.

Thanks,

qwerty

• Francois
    Francois

Seeker, you've done an execellent job of defining propaganda. And that's exactly what the WTBTS is up to, not only in their remarks about ex-JWs, but in all their publications whether magazines or books and tracts.

In this effort, they are the perfect reflection of Joseph Goebbels, their ideal teacher and spiritual father and for whom they are the present-day anti-type.

Those of us who left for principled reasons of conscience, that is to say the majority of us, actually occupy the moral and ethical high ground. We refused to be little cookie-cutter windup dolls engaged in spreading propaganda for an immoral religious cult.

I think we deserve, each one of us, that award Bush I started, the thousand pints of Lite, um, thousand points of light award.

Francois

My $0.02

• Seeker
    Seeker

Francois,

Thanks. You are correct, it is propaganda, pure and simple. The WTS does not dare tell the truth about us, which makes us wonder why not? Why are they afraid to tell their followers the truth? We, of course, know the answer to those questions. I leave them as rhetorical for any lurking JWs that might be reading this thread.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit