Any research on Fred Franz?

by Spudinator 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

Shotgun,

Your killin me

• acsot
    acsot
    I heard him In Montreal in 1985...He quoted Rutherford from 1919 who supposedly said this to Jehovah while giving a prayer in prison...He yelled...If you free me from this prison Jehovah I will drive the sword of truth deep into the belly of the great harlot.

Shotgun: did you used to live in Montreal? I was there also at that talk, but I don't remember anything specific that Freddy said, or yelled. I was, however, sitting behind two elderly sisters who had fallen asleep and, well, you can guess what happened. When Freddy bellowed "JEHOVAH ..." at one point i his talk I thought the two of them were going to drop dead of massive coronaries right then and there.

The following day he gave the public talk at my mother's hall. You should have seen the drove of dubs, you'd have thought it was the second coming. One sister gave him a big kiss on the cheek - he didn't seem to mind.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Thanks, Blondie, for the great links! I hadn't seen the second one before! Interesting!

I had seen him in Roanoke, VA, in '79 or '80, and there ws a helluva thunderstorm that knocked out the power (and the mikes!) and we could STILL hear him quite well! Stupid ME, I was amazed at how he could sail right through his talk in the dark without missing a beat.....until someone sitting next to me told Fred was blind........DUH!!!!

NOW I know he was REALLY blind in many other respects..(my bad!)

hugs,

Annie

• TonyT
    TonyT

I heard that, using a volunteer work force, he started his own business.

• Farkel
    Farkel

spudinator,

: Just curious if anyone out there has done or knows of an extensive biography of Fred Franz.

The best biography of Freddie consists huge volume of books, booklets and magazine articles he wrote over the 70 plus years he was a Bethel. He was by far the most prolific WTS writer.

So, 70 plus years of his life can be summed up with: he wrote stuff and gave speeches and lived in a little room in Brooklyn.

The only other interesting aspects of his life can be summed up quickly:

He was congenial nearly all the time. When one disgreed with him, his dark side showed (per his Nephew, Ray)

He was the first one to sign the resolution which was published in the WT magazine libeling Olin Moyle. He was quite aware that article was a lie from start to end. Proof of that is Moyle won a $30,000 libel judgement against Rutherford, and the society finally paid him $15,000 of it.

He shamelessly made up the whole story about the "return of the Princes" to justify Rutherford's mansion, Beth Sarim. He even admitted to that.

He knew that the door-to-door doctrine was unscriptural and knew that there is not a shred of evidence that Jesus or any of his disciples went from door to door preaching to stranger. There was certainly no need for Jesus to do so: so many people came to see HIM that he asked to get in a boat close to shore, so they wouldn't crowd him.

I'm convinced that he was quite aware that most of the WTS teachings were unscriptural and unChristian, but his reverance and worship as an "oracle" probably convinced him to forget or ignore that fact.

He dropped out of college in his junior year and NEVER attended Oxford University, but he continued to let his followers think he did.

He ruined countless lives with his 1975 crap and was the one who blamed the members for not only that fiasco, but for nearly every other reversal of WT doctrine.

He was a dishonest scumbag and manipulator of the worst sort, and IMNSHO is the most culpable of all WT leaders.

As I said, if you really want to get into the mind of that man, read his stuff, particularly the Your Will book, the Babylon the Great book, the Paradise Lost book, the Life Everlasting book, and the Then is Finished book. What you will see (if you haven't already) is how he can make the scriptures say anything he wants them to say and make people think they're stupid for not understanding his garbage and reasoning.

Farkel

• Scully
    Scully

shotgun wrote:

I heard him In Montreal in 1985...He quoted Rutherford from 1919 who supposedly said this to Jehovah while giving a prayer in prison...He yelled...If you free me from this prison Jehovah I will drive the sword of truth deep into the belly of the great harlot.

I was at that International Convention too.

That was the same convention where he announced that 1986 was going to be the United Nations' International Year of Peace, and then went on to extrapolate that Armageddon wasn't going to be far behind.

Love, Scully

• scholar
    scholar

Spudinator

It must be said that despite the fact that Bro. Franz did not complete his degree, he has by means of his scholarship become the greatest Biblical scholar that has ever lived.

scholar

BA MA Studies in Religion

• Farkel
    Farkel

"scholar,"

: It must be said that despite the fact that Bro. Franz did not complete his degree, he has by means of his scholarship become the greatest Biblical scholar that has ever lived.

Not to mention the worst prophet who ever lived.

Farkel

• OHappyDay
    OHappyDay

Both scholar and Farkel are correct. Franz was a "natural" scholar, lacking only the degree. But as a prophet, he was lacking divine inspiration.

Franz thought that by saying it, the End would come when he wanted it to come. By so doing, he ignored the warnings in the Bible about false predictions of Christ's coming.

In the end, Ego triumphed, and Truth lay vanquished.

• joenobody
    joenobody

Farkel 1

Scholar 0

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit