Emotional Blackmail and ex-JWs

by Lady Lee 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vinny
    Vinny

My wife's 23 year old JW son (the only one still in, out of 5 of us), will not even take our phone calls or allow us any visits/contact with his three year old son (our grandchild). And his mother (my wife) is not disfellowshipped or disassociated... she just stopped going. ( I disassociated three years ago, but raised him since he was six years old).

He said --word for word here-- "if you want to have any relationship with us then you need to come to the meetings".

Now folks, THAT is some good old fashioned emotional blackmail.

Yep, we sure couldn't wait to go running back to "true worship" after that offer.

What a hoot.

Vinny

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

scary isn't it

At least now you have a name for it so when anyone tries it again you will find it easier to recognize

• wavvy
    wavvy

Yeah Vinny, the blackmail is so blatant at times, it's hard to believe the people doing it don't see it. As I keep telling myself though, it's amazing what behaviour becomes justified when you think you are specially blessed by God and therefore better than everyone else.

• wobble
    wobble

Two members of my family tried the "your Father must be spinning in his grave" blackmail.

It didn't work. I pointed out that my Father, all his life ,even pre- Witness , lived according to his conscience, not what anybody else told him to do .

I then told them I had left for conscientious ,as well as scriptural reasons, and that my Father would have commended me for that !

Love

Wobble

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

yeah Wobble

it's always about control - control of the person regardless of their abilities or problems

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit