Our Ginger and Rainbow Bridge.... :(

by Sentinel 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

Yesterday, I called the shelter and explained everything and was told that this peticular breed of cat, the female Tortie gets mean after they are spayed.

We had you spayed because that is what the animal shelter required of us, as responsible pet owners. We didn't realize that it would change you forever, and that you would become so unfriendly and mean.

I have been avoiding posting on this topic, but I just can't let you think you are somehow responsible for her "getting mean."

First let me be very clear about something - Don't misunderstand me! I do think there was something wrong with her. From your description, it's very clear she was mentally unbalanced and a dangerous animal, and you did the right thing to have her put to sleep, but it wasn't caused by spaying her! I realize you don't know me from Adam, and that you have no reason to believe me rather than the shelter person, but I hate to have you think somehow you caused this...

I used to work as a vet assistant, I have been a kitty foster mom, had lots of different cats of different breeds, and showed cats for years. I cannot believe someone at the shelter would say such a hurtful and incorrect thing.

It is true that torties have a reputation for being somewhat, opinionated (just as orange tabbies have a bit of a reputation for being kinda doofy and brown tabbied have a reputation for being loving), but please, please believe me when I say that spaying her did not make her unfriendly and mean. Some breeds are more or less loving, but there is no breed where a particular color gets mean after being spayed.

I think these old wives tales start because mental and behavior disorders just aren't very obvious in cute fuzzy little kittens, and we usually get them spayed or neutered when they're 'teenagers' or 'adults', and it's just a coincidence that the mental and behavior disorders show up after the operation.

Losing a loved pet is hard. Feeling that you somehow failed is worse (I've been there). But Please, Please don't feel responsible.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

• carefully faded
    carefully faded

So sorry to hear of your loss Sentinel. My thoughts are with you.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

((( CJ, Sheila, bebu, "arizona", Faded, Special K)))

Thanks for all your support. If I allow myself to think too much about it, I get sad, so I am trying not to do that. Just another one of those things in life, where we must make a decision with the best information we have, and move on. The lady at the shelter spoke with so much clarity, that I truly thought she knew what she was talking about. Now, I'm back to wondering if our Ginger was really quite "mentally unstable". It really doesn't matter now....

We are trying to concentrate on what is going on with hubby's health and his upcoming surgery in the following weeks to come. "June" (our younger cat--a Tuxedo) is remarkable. She is giving us both so much love and attention. It's like "she knows" what we need.

We are making ourselves as knowledgeable as possible about the human body and how it functions, so we can speak to the surgeon in clear terminology and understand what he tells us. Quite amazing creatures, we are as human beings....the way we were made. Even at that, we also receive much from the animal kingdom.

Karen

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

We are trying to concentrate on what is going on with hubby's health and his upcoming surgery in the following weeks to come. "June" (our younger cat--a Tuxedo) is remarkable. She is giving us both so much love and attention. It's like "she knows" what we need.
    Cats DO know. Spike (the littler of our two cats) always knows when Clare is ill and last month when she had a bad period Spike spent the whole time either sat on her lap or cuddled up to her tummy keeping her warm. Clare has been suffering from the after effects of glandular fever for the last year and every time her glands flare up Spike is always more clingy around her. When I'm ill he doesn't give a toss but there ya go.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Satan, thanks for your comments. I thought perhaps there really might be something to it, as June was sleeping on the bed with us every single night. She would get up early in the AM to drink and use the litter, and return to wake us right at seven every "week-day morning". She did this even after Ginger was taken on the 19th to the shelter. But a couple days ago, she stopped altogether. This is not her normal pattern of behavior at all. So, I think you are right. June is sensing things!

/<

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit