The Passion of the Christ (Movie)

by Golf 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Golf
    Golf

After hearing the pro's and con's about the movie, I went to see it this afternoon. I know we all have differing views, but I'm interested in knowing what impression it left you. For me, I went in with a critical eye and I was emotionally detached from the movie. There's plenty of conjecture and an excess of brutal beatings. What caught your attention?

Guest 77

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Off to see it @ 4 pm. Will tell ya later.

• Golf
    Golf

Joyb, I would interested in knowing how it affected you emotionally. Like I said, I detached myself emotionally from the movie. If you're an emotional person, bring some tissues.

Guest 77

• Dawn
    Dawn

Well - I have tickets for this evening but due to a family crisis won't get to go until this weekend (boo hoo) - but I gave the tickets to my son so he's going. I'm interested in hearing other people's comments too!

• desib77
    desib77

I am going to see it next week. Like you, I feel that it will not bring up deep emotions within me, however, I wish it would. I struggle with the witness part of me that tells me that anything portrayed by the world is inaccurate and pagan. I personally would love it if I could get past this and be touched by the movie....might be a small step forward.

• shamus
    shamus

I won't go see it. I already know what this person, be him real or not, went through.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

I seldom venture into the movie theaters. Will wait until its out on DVD and rent it for sure.

/<

• Golf
    Golf

Sentinel, nothing like the big screen when it comes to interesting movies. I invited my wife and she wouldn't go, she's not into brutality.

Without a doubt this movie will inflame the secularists. Maybe this movie is a set up for some drastic action against the Christians, maybe?

Guest 77

• Will Power
    Will Power

I will see it soon.

Will JWs see it? Will they want to? Will they be able to see it? - so many things will conflict

Will they want to answer questions truthfully as to why they won't see it? or will they all use the R rating or the violence that would sicken them angle. Far as I can tell, what could be more violent than one man being tortured to death? Could it be the whole world?, babies too being destroyed on the only day they long for. Watching the birds peck out their eyes...and on and on. Yeah, hope one uses the "too violent" reason on me.

Roger Ebert had an excellent review in the paper tonight. Try and read it.

Will

• MegaDude
    MegaDude
    For me, I went in with a critical eye and I was emotionally detached from the movie

I know what you mean about having an intense reaction to the film. It reminded me of the times I first saw "Saving Private Ryan" or "Schindler's List" but more so. I felt emotionally drained after the film was over but not detached. More numb from the ultra-violence of watching Jesus beated, shredded by a cat-o-nine tails where one side of his ribs are exposed, and then brutally crucified. But at the same time I felt deeply touched by the whole story, as it included flashbacks of Jesus as a son, a boy, a carpenter, a teacher, a leader of his disciples, being in agony but praying for those that were killing him. I thought the film was well done but hard to watch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit