I Thought Mel Gibson Was Going To Be Jesus...

by SYN 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• SYN
    SYN

Whoooops!

I'd been getting all geared up to go and watch the Passion of the Christ (it's causing enormous waves of journalistic strife, so it has be interesting at the very least...), until I saw the trailer and realized that Mel Gibson is not, actually, playing Jesus.

Apparently he's "too old", a friend told me.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a massive Mel Gibson fan (although he was perfect for the role in What Women Want, I must admit), but I thought it would've been truly surreal and an interesting reflection on popular culture circa 2004 to see Mel Gibson pretending to be Jesus.

Other interesting tidbits have surfaced about this movie. Monica Bellucci (hope I spelled that right) of Matrix: Reloaded/Revolutions fame is in it, which you might say is a truly powerful incentive to go watch the movie, but she may not be as fun in this role as she was in the Matrix. I just don't think they had access to rubber one-piece miniskirts and 9-inch heels during the time of Jesus.

I might add that the trailer was quite impressive, and the film might be worth watching because of the beauty of it's cinematography alone. From what I saw, it looks very gritty, and Miseur Gibson seems to have paid a lot of attention to the finer details of Palestine at the time of Jesus' death.

Now, people on this site might now me as a stringent atheist, the kind of person who stands on hilltops in lightning storms dressed in wet copper armour and shouts "Come get me, God!", so the main reason I'm going to watch this movie on Wednesday night isn't because I'm religious, but because I'm interested to see what Jesus looks like through the filter of 21st century filmmaking.

Regards,
    [SYN]
    What Jesus Wants Class

• FirstInLine
    FirstInLine

This is not the best way to prove God doesnt exist

Now, people on this site might now me as a stringent atheist, the kind of person who stands on hilltops in lightning storms dressed in wet copper armour and shouts "Come get me, God!"

I think Mel should have at least made a cameo as a burnt out chain smoking Roman Soldier on the fringes of madness that has a real problem with people telling him he has a death wish.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    I think Mel should have at least made a cameo as a burnt out chain smoking Roman Soldier on the fringes of madness that has a real problem with people telling him he has a death wish.

Ha, I think he woulda made a cool Barabbas...daring the crowd to kill him, hey pick me pick me, but disappointed they went for the scrawny dude wearing the thorny crown.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

he could have been Peter...Peter was older than jesus wasnt he?

or am I just making that up?

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

I was hoping that Peter and John could anxioulsly show Jesus the last of the V-8 Interceptors.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Mel shoulda played the Roman guard who says to the condemned as he processes them "Crucifiction? Line on the left, one cross each"...

Pope

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

All I know is I can't wait to see Jim Caviezel play Jesus. He is awesome. I don't think I've seen such a good-looking Jesus since Jeffrey Hunter in King of Kings with his piercing blue eyes. If anyone saw Jim in Frequency, Pay It Forward, The Count of Monte Cristo, or Angel Eyes, you know what I mean.

• greatcrowd
    greatcrowd

Tatiana, the blue eyes of Jim Caviezel was digitally edited out so as to make him look more like a jew. Mel Gibson wanted this movie to be as realistic as possible. In fact, he decried previous Jesus movies that made use of actors with British or American accents, hence his decision to use the Aramaic language

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

greatcrowd, I was talking about Jeffrey's eyes in KOK's. I've seen Jim's eyes in previews and knew they had to do something. I don't really think Jesus could have looked like all the pictures on all the walls of all the houses I saw while out in field service!

• Huxley
    Huxley

Jim's eyes in 'The Count of Monte Crisco' were captivating. They had a glimmering sheen that made me hungry for fried foods..

;-)

Huxley

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit