Organ donation?

by xenawarrior 24 Replies latest jw friends

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

I know I read that at one time organ donation was something forbidden and then after a while it became a conscience matter for JW's. (someone correct me if I'm wrong please)

I was watching a television show last week about a very interesting triple liver transplantation involving "live donors".

In one part of the show they talked about how many people die while on the waiting list for an organ and how upon death an organ donor can either save or help up to 7 people. It got me to thinking about the folks here and how you might have been taught about this and it made me wonder.....

How do you feel about organ donation now? Are you a donor? Would you consider a live donation of an organ such as the liver which would rejuvenate itself?

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Hi Xena! Yes, I'm into "recycling"! LOL! Hey, I want to be cremated anyways when I go, and why shouldn't I give so others may live? So, I just renewed my driver's license and I again listed myself as an organ donor...........I think it's a good thing.......and one of the things that made me really consider it was that a friend of mine, a Dub, was an R.N. and she had herself listed as a donor. It put the last slight hesitation to rest for me..........oh, yeah, you asked about the live donation..........hmmm, I would, in a very special circumstance.......like family or a wonderful close friend.............

Terri

• Special K
    Special K

Hi Xenawarrior

I have my donor card signed to donate some organs. I feel it is the right thing to do.

would I give a live donation..

Yes .. to my kids or my husband for sure..

To anyone else.... It would depend on the circumstances.

Sincerely

Special k

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I have an organ you can use, if you need it. But just for the evening.

If you want to use it again, you'll have to re - MEMBER...

CZAR

• garybuss
    garybuss

I am a donor. Carry a card.

• heathen
    heathen

I am in no way an organ donor . I think they have found plenty of cases where people weren't legally dead before they removed parts . They do have to take the organs immediately after life signs extinquish but people have been known to be dead for long periods of times and then revived . I am not willing to take the chance that I couldn't be revived and have people carving me up like a christmas turkey . Not the way I want to exit this world at all .

• pdx
    pdx

I would like to second that! (heathen) I realy don't trust hospitals, if money is involved..

• blondie
    blondie

I was an organ donor when I was an active JW and still am now that I am a fader. Didn't seem right to accept an organ but not donate.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I will neither accept or donate an organ.

I'm sorry, but the thought just creeps me out - it seems ghoulish - in fact, given the original meaning of the arabic word, it IS ghoulish (to me).

I also judge no one.

Love good, and do as thou will.

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

"I think they have found plenty of cases where people weren't legally dead before they removed parts."

If you are referring to "removing parts" for transplantation, please give us a factual example with documentation.
    "They do have to take the organs immediately after life signs extinquish?"

Not true in most western nations where brain death is the criteria for death. Donor organs can be kept viable long after the brain is dead. Perhaps you are referring to those areas of the world where cessation of a heartbeat is the definition of death. Waiting until there is no cardiac function does make organ donation very difficult.

"I realy don't trust hospitals, if money is involve"

"Hospitals" do not make decisions about when death occurs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit