Who Is Your Brother?

by jgnat 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Purple
    Purple

Hmmm reminds me of one of my favorite comedians and one of his characters...Brother Lee Love.......remember he always had the big foam hand and sang the same song????/ Your brother apart form being your maternal brother is a friend who loves you for being you. I dont think in terms of Brother or sister anymore just friend. Like most other things JW related its just a word that is used that really has no meaning. You probably are familar with other terms like love, equality and stuff that are words that are used in JW speak but mean absolutley nothing! So don't sweat it! It could be the start of better things to come...breaking free of the troof and such! It goes to show how unaccepting JW's are and have no idea of what real love is all about!

• Sassy
    Sassy

I know why she cares... because she cares about her husbands feelings..

I can't believe if he has not recently committed something to be disciplined for (and just marrying you should NOT have done that), that they have grounds to treat him like someone who is not baptized..

or isn't he baptized? I know if they aren't, they aren't supposed to be calling them brother or sister, but Mr. so and so or Mrs/Ms so and so.. ??

• mouthy
    mouthy

Oh thanks jgnat!!!! I never realized that, Mustnt go there!!!! Yes Valis When old ladies get "in the last days" they want attention.. & stop slamming the ruddy doors -I aint deaf!!!!

• flower
    flower

I'm a little confused because I dont understand the situation. Is your husband still a practicing witness?

If so, I can understand him being a 'little' upset but he knows the cults rules on marrying outside the religion and chose to ignore them so I'm sure he didnt expect them to continue treating him the same after he did it.

If not why does he care that they dont think of him as a 'brother'? If one of them called me 'sister' now I would be sure to correct them and tell them I am NOT your sister.

Their use of the words 'brother' and 'sister' are part of their brainwashing techniques. It makes people who come in to the org feel like they are part of something close, especially those who are in a bad lonely place in life when they are preyed upon. They only call people brother or sister who have been baptized or become a publisher so its a way to make them feel special for taking the steps to join the cult.

Just my opinion, but your husband should to be called by his real name...not his cult title.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

1 Corinthians 13 Love

1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, [2] but have not love, I gain nothing.
    4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
    8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12 Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
    13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

((jgnat))

I thought of this, as well as "by their fruits you shall know them". One truth I have learned in life is never to listen to what someone says, but observe what they do. That is why I stopped being a Witness, their actions were so reprehensible I could not in good conscience associate with them (of course it took me another 9 years to decide they didn't have "the truth"). Perhaps this is what your husband has to go through to see what he needs to see. Until he does, he will be treated very badly and for that I am sorry for him and for you.

Be well,

Chris

• mouthy
    mouthy

I agree with you Chris.Wholeheartly!!!!... I am sorry though-you as his wife will also take some of the brunt of the "hard feelings" he will go through. He thought that you would "come into the fold" when he married you I am sure. But be warned by all on this board. Love HIM!! & Know it isnt by anymeans the truth-He will need your love more than ever once the "stone faces" pass him.

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Oh Jgnat, I just saw this. Your honey is hurt, so your heart hurts for him. You're angry at those who have been so false and gushy to your face, yet penalize him for loving you.

(((Jgnat)))

• zion sleeping
    zion sleeping

YOU ARE MY SISTER, FRIEND.

• blondie
    blondie

Well, in all my 45 plus years of going to the KH, this is the first I heard that a baptized JW, who isn't DA'd or DF'd, isn't called on as "Brother" or "Sister."

Reinstated or publicly/privately reproved JWs would be on restrictions and couldn't answer anyway.

Unbaptized people who answer are the only ones I have ever seen called on only by their first and last name.

Sounds like their own little interpretation.

Jgnat, I would check with the CO or an elder in another congregation. Sounds like these elders have their own personal Talmud.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit