Are you *really* into something?

by DanTheMan 35 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Getting to know various personalities on this board, I get to feeling that a missing component in my life is to get *really* into something.

For instance, the board has our resident intellectuals and political debaters. I am in awe of the broad scope of knowledge and seemingly instant recall of obscure facts that many on this board seem to have. I consider myself to be fairly intelligent, but I am light years from being a true intellectual. So that's probably out.

Other people are really into some hobby or another, like riding motorcycles, playing very complex and involved video games, travelling, partying all the time, etc. Some of these things cost a lot of money, which I don't have. And I'm too introverted to go out and party all the time. I like video games, but not the ones that take an extreme amount of time and commitment to get into.

Others are into their careers, that is what brings them satisfaction. I recently got a promotion at work and for the first time in my life I feel like I've risen a little bit above the "grunt" level. But I don't have much faith in the economy, couple this with my apocalyptic outlook and the result is that I just can't seem to get too revved up about career success.

I tried music for a long time, I played guitar for many years, but it never stopped being mysterious to me. A lack of good teachers? I don't currently own a guitar, but I'm wondering if I (once again) bought a guitar only this time with the determination to really get good, that this would bring me some satisfaction and peace of mind?

Bottom line, I guess I'm just pretty lazy!!!!

So what are you into?

• Mulan
    Mulan

I am into scrapbooking. There are men who do this too. At one scrapbooking day I went to, I sat next to a very, very tall man, who it turns out used to play pro basketball for the Seattle Sonics. He was really into scrapbooking too. I worked for awhile at a scrapbooking store in '98 and '99. I had many men customers.............most were older widowers, but we had a few younger men in their 20's and 30's too.

I also spend time doing genealogy research. After about 10 years now, I've found about all there is to find, but once in awhile I get a new little treasure of information on past family members. I enjoy the research and especially the discoveries and recording it all.

When I talk to Mormons (occasionally meet one) and talk about my interests, they always ask if I am one too. Those are typical Mormon activities.

Dan, you should look into getting a guitar again. It sounds like you really enjoyed it.

• shotgun
    shotgun

I'm really into doing everything to make my little girl happy.

She is probably beyond a doubt the only true happiness I have right now. So we draw together, read stories, play puppets, make crafts and tyhe list goes on and on. As a family all we do together is get groceries or shop.

I do need to branch out and get a few hobbies. I plan on signing up for a few night courses...to coincide with meeting nights.

I was thinking of martial arts and also maybe a language class as well.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Great question. I am really into my kids as well,,,,,trying to make sure they have the childhood they deserve , they had to grow up in the borg as well. Luckily,( hehe I said Luckily),,,,,,,,they all even my oldest son , have been able to have Xmas, B/D, etc.

My husband is really into expanding his business this year, he repairs hail damage from cars,,,,Paintless Dent Repair. He enjoys coming up with ideas , and has great plans for the business. He is really into playing pool and drinking beer too, lol.

I am into getting to know people,,,,,,,,,,just talking , listening, and socializing,,,,,,,,trying to make up for all the years I was a hermit in my sad little congregation. Everyone was so much older and didnt have a young spirit at all. I would have been happy if I could have had Mouthy there to keep me company thou. But sadly there was no one to do anything with, talk to , or anything.

Oh yeah I am into posting on this board in the wee hours of the morning. I am only up because I promised to help a friend out.

• Love_Truth
    Love_Truth

My hobbies:

Sex

Exercise (lifting weights, calisthenics, running, road bicycle racing, hiking, canoeing, etc).

Sex

Gardening (vegetables and fruits)

Sex

Landscaping - ornamental plants, building decks, retaining walls, drains, sidewalks, etc.

Sex

Fine dining & drinking.

Oh, and sex too.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I guess my hobby is transit history. I collect books and pictures on old buses, trolleys, and trains. I pretty much love transportation history on anything with wheels. I love old police cars and motorcycles and for acouple of years I volunteered at a trolley museum in Conneticutt. I moved to the upstate region so it was to far for me to commute there anymore.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Mulan, the genealogy research sounds interesting. I can't say I know very much about my family's history.

Shotgun & Lyin, I am sure that raising children is one of the most significant ways to add meaning and purpose to one's life, after all this is what our whole existence seems to be based on - perpetuating the species. Unfortunately I don't see myself as being the fatherly type.

Loves Truth, thanks for that...

got my forty (love that name) - sounds like an interesting hobby. I know more about cars than your average Joe, but still I'm no expert.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

For me it's photography. Really the only hobby I have that I can lose myself in. I've discovered that it's a rather expensive hobby, but it's too late. I'm hooked now.

I also love skiing, scrapbooking, painting, decorating my home, reading, volleyball. So many things to do and so little time to do it! I wish I could win the Powerball so I wouldn't have to work. I could just spend time learning all the neat things in this world.

• starfish422
    starfish422

Currently, I am *really* into getting through the last 2.5 weeks of this pregnancy as comfortably as possible (LMAO Yeah, right!!!) and after that I'll be *really* into my new daughter, and my 4-year-old son. :)

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Lets see here... there's sex, sex, oh and I don't want to forget about sex.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit