• avengers
    avengers

Suit accuses church official of abuse
    4 say Jehovah's Witness church hid crime;
    man a convicted child molester

February 19, 2004
    By STEVE HART
    THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
    Four former members of the Jehovah's Witnesses have filed a lawsuit in Superior Court, contending they were sexually abused by a church official in Sonoma County (California) during the 1980s and the church covered up the crime.

The lawsuit names two Sonoma County congregations of the Jehovah's Witnesses and Donald L. Glew, a former church member who was convicted in 1989 of four counts of child molestation. Glew, now 52, was sentenced to 14 years in prison.

According to the lawsuit, Glew was a church leader in Santa Rosa and Petaluma who used his position to gain access to young children of church members. He started molesting two of the plaintiffs when they were infants, the suit alleges.

The other alleged victims were 1 and 5 years old when Glew started molesting them, according to the complaint filed Feb. 9.

"He was someone vested with authority," said Bill Brelsford, a Sacramento attorney who represents the four plaintiffs, identified only by their first names in the 22-page complaint.

But a top Jehovah's Witnesses attorney Wednesday said Glew was never a church official.

"Based on our preliminary investigation, Donald L. Glew has never served in any position of responsibility with any congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses and he has not been one of Jehovah's Witnesses since 1989," said Philip Brumley, general counsel for the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, the Jehovah's Witnesses parent organization.

He said the church isn't responsible for Glew's actions. The lawsuit also names the Watchtower Society as a defendant.

The Sonoma County lawsuit echoes allegations filed against the church in other communities. Some former Jehovah's Witnesses say the organization has covered up numerous incidents of child molestation by church officials over the years.
    Similar lawsuits have been filed in six other Northern California counties, including Napa, Santa Clara, Monterey and Yolo.
    But Jehovah's Witnesses officials deny reports of widespread abuse, saying the incidents are isolated and mostly involved church members who weren't in positions of authority.

According to the Sonoma County lawsuit, Glew became a "ministerial servant" in the Jehovah's Witnesses in the late 1970s. He counseled church members and supervised the care of Jehovah's Witnesses children while their parents did "field service," including door-to-door proselytizing.

He molested the four plaintiffs, two boys and two girls, between 1982 and 1988, according to the lawsuit.

Other church leaders learned Glew was molesting children as early as 1980, the suit says, but they took no action to stop him and they prohibited the victims' families from reporting the crimes to police.
    According to the suit, church officials told the victims' families that they should leave the matter to the church to handle. The church "engaged in a systematic pattern and practice of suppression of information to cover up and hide incidents of child molestation from law enforcement and their membership," the complaint alleges.
    The suit seeks undisclosed damages for sexual battery, fraud, conspiracy, emotional distress and negligence.
    Brelsford said the victims still live in Sonoma County and range in age from 16 to 25.

Glew, who now lives in San Mateo County, couldn't be located for comment.

Brumley said the church hasn't received a copy of the lawsuit, which lists the 16-year-old girl as the lead plaintiff.

"While our hearts go out to the plaintiff for any suffering she has endured, we are confident that neither Watchtower nor any of the local congregation elders are responsible for what the plaintiff alleges Donald L. Glew did," Brumley said.
    You can reach Staff Writer Steve Hart at 707-568-5312 or [email protected].

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Thanks so much for posting that article - the more exposure the better. So many Witnesses are probably totally in the dark about their supposedly "clean" and "safe" organization and congregations. Supposed to avoid outsiders - HAH!

• galaxy7
    galaxy7

You are right, I never heard about this child abuse till i read it on JWD peaple need to know abourt this.

There should be more on the tv about this

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

interesting......the pile gets deeper.

ty Avenger.

• La Capra
    La Capra

I work part time in this court. I read the newspaper everyday. I can't believe I missed this. I wonder how many of the proceedings I can get into. I will be following this one closely. I can't wait to see the flippin elders on the stand. Wonder if Bill needs a local clerk that will work for free this summer! Shoshana

• shotgun
    shotgun

How do some people sleep at night..how can you do that to a child and not totally hate yourself?

• Valis
  • Simon
    Simon

On behalf of "Amazing":

The Press Democrat story is somewhat inaccurate and the story has errors.

More information is forthcoming that will correct some items

• Special K
    Special K

I was going to comment but after reading simons post... I'll wait and see if a more correct account is forthwith.

sincerely

special K

• La Capra
    La Capra

I checked with the court files, this lawsuit has been filed. There are numerous plaintiffs (f if I'm recalling correctly), first name and last initial. There are four defendants, Donald Glew, The Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses (I'm assuming Brooklyn), the Santa Rosa Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, and the Petaluma Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses. The attorney mentioned in the article is the attorney of record for plaintiffs with the court, and the defense is scheduled to reply. Nothing else is on the docket yet in this case. I haven't checked to see if the reply has been filed yet. I'll do that next week. Shoshana

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit