Are meeting styles different in particular regions?

by somebodylovesme 13 Replies latest jw friends

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

That's so interesting... I wonder why enthusiasm and fakeness are correlated? Strange.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

In my old congregation, underwear was optional: if you did choose to wear it, though, you had to wear it on the outside so that everyone could see that it was without blemish.

We were always on a very spiritual level, and would have no hold barred, full contact, spritual deathmatches once a month to determine whose spiritual armour was strongest.

• SC_Guy
    SC_Guy
    That's so interesting... I wonder why enthusiasm and fakeness are correlated? Strange.

You and me both. I had my first taste of these type of people when I moved to SC, I thought it was great... everyone was nice, they'd hug and kiss you as you'd come into the hall and want to talk to you. But you learn something about those people when you stick around them for enough time, they are about as deep as a puddle. There are some who are not fake, but even those people can get infected with it... I find myself doing the fake thing, walking around flattering everyone just like pretty much everyone else does.

Here's something else you won't find in the north... group speaker/co hospitaltiy. It's where instead of a family feeding a sunday speaker or a CO the whole bookstudy does ala buffet style. Southren food can be downright awful and the sisters who do cook the food will be offended if you don't try everything... I'm a vegan, so.. lol. Food choices rarley include things with vegtables in them... mostly meat dishes, some bookstudys make it a pratices to have whole fried turkys... while others stick to hams, fried chicken and pork dishes. Cornbread are one of the staples of a soul food, also to be found at these gatherings are things like rice & beans with meat like chicken, mac & cheese and even more rice. A popular dessert made by the sisters is Red velvet cake, so that is always there. The entire sunday afternoon is spent eating, it's quite disgusting... the quantity of food served is massive. These days, what you'll find is people from the morning meeting going to the speaker hospitatly and then when it rolls around to 4 PM, they'll head over to the one for the afternoon meeting... and I'm not kidding here, we've had people D/fed for gluttony of all things.

• codeblue
    codeblue

When I moved to the "west coast" ...I found the excitement from the speakers were gone. As was the love of the greater number.

Both Mr. CB and I soon called all the CO's: Brother Snooze...that is...he was so monotone and so old you couldn't stay awake.!!!

Codeblue

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit