Are meeting styles different in particular regions?

by somebodylovesme 13 Replies latest jw friends

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

The meetings I have been to (in the rural midwest) have been the quietest, tamest, and most boring religious events I have ever been to. They make the Lutheran church I used to go to (in which no one was under 60 except my family!) look exciting. I figured all halls were like that - but I heard from a JW acquaintance that "down south", the meetings are much more passionate and energized, with loud singing and emotional talks -- more like what I would call the "Southern Baptist" type of event, where the audience is actively emotionally involved in the talk.

What are meetings like where you are from?

... and Happy Tuesday, everyone. :)

SLM

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Denomination, local culture, and spiritual temperature, all add up to whatever you might experience.
    I've seen the full spectrum, and tend to mix it a bit.
    I prefer a more sedate, reverential, worship experience.

However, I like to frequent more lively events, to balance things up a bit.

• simplesally
    simplesally

I think some congregations have better speakers and are better prepared than others. I belonged to a congregation once that was always lively and had excellant speakers. The brother assigned to set up the Sunday speaker always tried to get good speakers from other halls. Our Service Meeting parts had to be rehearsed on Sunday night if you had a part in the meeting.

• SC_Guy
    SC_Guy

I've seen all sorts here in the US. To the north, people tend to be quiter singers... the talks and speakers are smarter and their talks tend to be dry. In the south.. heavens... people sing at the top of their lungs, the black and sometimes white speakers get excited and they get preachy... during the talks, the audince will do things like say "mmmhmmm!" and shake their heads in agreement. Totatly diffrent from the north. In fact, this one in the south I go to has it's own graveyard. Story has it some of the people who wanted to join the congergation in the 70's-80's decided otherwise because the hall didn't provide a graveyard like their current church. Imagine that.

Something I also see between the two... people from the north are more reserved... but they are also genuine when you get to know them. People from the south tend to be open and fun to be with at first, but it's bad because they are not genuine, they tend to be fake. It's just something I've noticed from all of the 'friends' from the congergations I've known.

• shotgun
    shotgun

Why don't you perk them up a little...the meetings I mean.

Every once in a while for no apparent reason jump up and shout Hallalujah praise the faithful and discreet slave class.

And before everyone starts singing but the music has started... sing out loud and proud.. ( I don't care if the whole world freezes cause I'm in the arms of my lord Jesus ).....then get everyone to join in.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I misread the original post

There are cultural differences, at halls, but that's about the only variation I've seen.

LOL @ Shotgun

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

Shotgun -

That sounds like a great idea! lol... ohh I can imagine. Yeah, the three halls I've been to were all soooo dry and quiet. Barely anyone sang above a whisper. I think I was singing the loudest, and I didn't even know the songs! I would love to just, Amen! at the end of a song... that would be funny. Or start weeping and saying "I can feel the spirit!" - bet that would go over well.

SLM

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

What I experienced more where classes of Congregations, divided by income.

In your poorer areas, poor seats, sound systems and the like are found in these KHs. However, I experienced more family like giving, more "get togethers" (where everyone was invited). The elders were more active in Shepherding.

In richer areas, you gained more "friends" by driving nice cars and wearing nice clothes. The saddest thing to see was a family with little means move into a rich hall. As an Elder, I remember many complaints from the poor that they were excluded to eat out after assemblies or the memorial. The Brothers with $$$ had the CO's ear.....

• shotgun
    shotgun

ThiChi

I have experienced your comments as well..

What I experienced more where classes of Congregations, divided by income.
  • itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

SCguy mentioned the reserved/genuine Northerners versus the outgoing/fake southerners. So true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit