Really don't feel like a JW anymore

by snare&racket 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

waking up to reality is harder for some than others....it is nice to know that you are no longer burdened by the fear of Harmageddon

I have to keep reminding myself that every generation thinks they are special and noteworthy.  Then they die like the rest.......oh, wait, even the overlapping ones!

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    I don't miss the anxiety attacks I used to have when out in field service.
  • Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    Busted my ass to help some old JW's I knew. It blew up in my face. These people are absolutely void of any true human kindness or personal loyalty to a true friend. I had tried to mix two worlds and it just wont work. There is the JW world and the REAL world. The twain shall not meet. Sad really. Feeling father out and better about it every day.
  • disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

You,  sir,  ROCK!

Good for you! 

😀

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I wasn't even aware of most of what you "don't miss" while I was a JW.  Now, I look back at the faulty reasoning and the heavy judgmental attitudes, the constant denial of real information, and all else and I do not miss it either.  I miss one single person who was my best friend.  Our bond forged within the belief system seemed to go beyond that stuff, but alas, it did not.  I have made new, more unconditional friends. (I say "more unconditional" because I couldn't sleep with their wife or kill their dog and remain tight friends, but short of that, they don't care if I go to church or vote/not vote along a different thought as them.)

I think the thing I don't miss the most is the ignorance.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great thread!

The more we miss the "indoctrination sessions" the more we realise just how much we were part of an "abusive relationship"! 

• Awake at last
    Awake at last

Snare & Racket, your name says it all.  A famous WTBTS president once said " Religion is a snare and a racket."  It takes the leader of such a snare and racket to recognise it.  In fact he was the instigator of one policy in particular that you didn't mention, the blood issue.  

Many other things I can think of that I don't miss are:

child abuse

disfellowshipping and shunning

rejection of anyone who can no longer do what they used to do

confusion over the blood issue

lack of compassion for mental illness

children being baptised and then later DFd

over use of chaperones for courting

unable to question anything or even express an opinion

justifying yourself to judicial committees

conditional friendships

And so on, and so on, and so on.