The movie moment that woke me up.

by NikL 12 Replies latest jw friends

• NikL
    NikL

I can still remember the day. Sitting in a theater watching the new Star Trek flick.

They were searching for god and Found him...or DID they?

When this part played before my eyes I literally felt my heart fall.

Still powerful after all these years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnxvKJAv5Ik

• blondie
    blondie

Was that a new one? That was some time ago when I still attended, 1989. Star Trek Movie V Final Frontier. That's Laurence Luckenbill.

Why does God need a starship?

That did resonate with me a jw on the edge.

• NikL
    NikL

No NOT new Blondie.

I saw it in theater when it was new.

• blondie
    blondie

oh

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

What does God need with a starship?

I ran into a free-thinker in "field service" who said something to the effect: "Do you think God would really send a bunch of nicely-dressed weirdos with printed stuff that nobody wants to read? Wouldn't he get our attention with something grand?"

It's fairly similar.

Go further with it. What does God need with a temple, church, synagogue, or shrine? What does he need with a bunch of groveling worshippers praying and chanting and flattering him to stroke his ego. And what does God need with a son? ....a human sacrifice to set things right? All that born-of-a-virgin stuff and being brutally killed to be resurrected again- that would only be the things of a bored God or a megalomaniac.

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

For me one original series episode keeps resonating,

The planet controlled by "Landrew"

Which was a mind controlling computer,

A wonderful peaceful concordant society,

No thought

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

Responding to OnTheWayOut:

"I find it hard to believe in a God who enjoys being praised so

much" -Neitzsche

• TD
    TD

I'm going to have to re-watch that one

As a teenager with doubts (Parents were studying) Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle In Time resonated very strongly with me.

It's a very helpless feeling to see an otherwise healthy person lose their powers of reason.

Different people have different triggers, I guess.

• Heaven
    Heaven

This resonated for me too NikL. Also, the ending of that movie where Kirk said "Maybe God isn't out there. Maybe he's right here, in the human heart." and points to his chest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj8PlGMPZ1U

• I quit!
    I quit!

So what happened after that NikL? Did you start seeing all the flaws in what you were taught? Did you continue going to meetings?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit