Video of play "The Good Faith"

by Joyzabel 9 Replies latest social entertainment

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Here is a review of the play "The Good Faith" and an opportunity to purchase the video. I highly recommend it.

?New York Theatre Wire?

?The Good Faith?, directed by Harold Dean James

Le MaMa E.T.C November 20-December 7.2003 (closed)

Revied by Delphine Deaudor

Although inspired by a true story among the Jehovah?s Witnesses, Harold Dean James? musical, ?The Good Faith,? raises the kind of questions any believer in ay religion is prone to ask himself concerning the legitimacy of religious institutions and the meaning of his own commitment to them. The topic is ambitious; the production is a simple but efficient staging of a drama of betrayal in the form of a musical tale.

The musical revolves round Brother Raw-inspired bye the true Richard Rawe-and his wife Frances, who are evicted through false allegations from a community of Jehovah?s Witnesses in which Richard used to be the principal elder.

The parable-like show opens with a scene of proselytism and ends with one of despair. Harold Dean James may not have want to denounce any type of religious enlistment, but rather point out the very human dimension lying in all religious communities which are not, by the way, immune to corruption and betrayal. The play is certainly a self-reflection for playwright James, who grew up a Jehovah?s Witness and whose family is still in the faith. As a musical, the topic is simplified and made more accessible. The songs and dances are cheerful whereas the story in itself is quite tragic. The show is sometimes moralizing and over-simple, but no more than religions themselves-if you really think of it. In a way the production has the flavor of its topic, Manichaean but meaningful.

?The Good Faith? is also a good example that you do not need to go to Broadway to attend an interesting musical. Do not expect an appearance of Tony Braxton on stage. Yet ?the Good Faith? offers you nice and well performed songs which improve the emotional feeling of the play. Isn?t that, essentially, the definition of a musical? Harold Dean James?s songs remarkably fit the story, mixing Gospel and Pop styles. A keyboardist and a percussionist perform on stage, accompanying choral singers under the musical direction of Christa Victoria. The dances (choreographed by Guillermo Resto) were a poor second to the music, mostly because most of the actors were far better singers than dancers.

Joe Matheson is excellent in the part of Brother Rawe and so is Christa Victoria in the part of Sister Sista (the character?s names remind on of the ?Mister Mister? and ?President Prexy? from Marc Blitzstein?s ?the Cradle Will Rock??simple, pointed and didactic. Both of them are very convincing, as opposed to Christiane Victoria (Frances), who seemed vocally unequal to the part.

The props are compromised of a few chairs and a movable door-the latter embodies the entrance or the exit from the community. You could not imagine a simpler stage design, and yet it creates the confined atmosphere of a quite closed community. Lighting effects by Tony Mulanix significantly contributed to this atmosphere.

The story is one of good intentions, and so is the production itself. Whereas in the story, good intentions are betrayed, the production keeps its promises in spite of some defaults. Give Harold Dean James a Broadway budget and he will undoubtedly do better.

To order this musical, "The Good Faith," on video:

Send check to:

Harold Dean James

46 Rivington St. 2-A

New York, NY 10002

Phone: 212-254-2504

Fax: 212-475-7706

Send your name and address.

Price: $25 per video, shipping included. ?The Good Faith?

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

lol, no one's interested in this?

All I can say is the music was really catchy. It really got to the feelings of being shunned.

shamelessly BTTT

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Thanks Joy, I'm going to order it!

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

I think you'll enjoy it Sixer.

I just got done talking with Harold and he said that he's looking into touring the country with this play. He has a producer and something else (sorry not into acting stuff ). Anyway, if I hear of cities where it will be, I'll let everyone know.

ps, he said you can use a check or money order, but at this time he's not doing charge cards.

Joy

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

In case anyone missed it, here are some clips of the play on another thread.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/14/62406/1.ashx

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Yep BTTT

• Valis
    Valis

Joy! Stop spamming this very important thread!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Thanks, Joy, I'll order it for sure - I just got home from work, so just saw your post. I read with fascination Richard Rawe's story on one of the ex-JW sites a month or two ago - thought I'd heard "it all" so to speak, but couldn't believe what was done with this brother!

• Brummie
    Brummie

Sounds very interesting, I havent spoken to Richard in a long time, perhaps I'll give him a call before hes all rich and famous

Brummie

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Brummie,

poor Richard was suppose to come to the opening night of the play but his health wouldn't even let him fly. Give him a ring if you feel so incline, I'm sure he'd love to hear from you.

Joy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit