slimboyfat joins the Seventh Day Adventists!

by slimboyfat 34 Replies latest members private

• LV101
    LV101

Thanks for the video link - I'm going to watch to at least know some facts. I do visit Redlands, Ca, and SDAs are everywhere. One beautiful, health conscious, community!

• LV101
    LV101

steve2 - wasn't the SDA minister who was 'defrocked' (love that term - my husband used it all the time about the JWs' 'disfellowshipped' version) reinstated -- I recall Ray Franz discussing something like this in his 'Crisis' book along with Catholic theologians that are allowed to stay members even though they have different viewpoints.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

I am posting this here at sbf’s request on another thread.

In my first post on this thread, I put up a table showing regions where 2016 Australian SDA’s were born. In the census, there are 2 separate questions for “ancestry”. Little guidance is given, but a person was able to nominate 2 ancestries. For simplicity, the chart below just lists the first option given by an individual.

Two points to make, in order to understand the data:

1. Obviously, the number of people claiming a foreign ancestry is going to be greater (far greater, as it turns out) than the number of people reporting a foreign birth.

2. For a typical white Australian, born in Australia, answering the question is not quite so simple. For example, take someone with both parents descendants of early settlers, and about as Australian as a white Anglo-Saxon can be. That person would be hesitant to write “Australian” as his/her ancestry, as it could be argued that that is a category reserved for Australian Aborigines. That person instead might write write British or European instead.

Also, for the record, I calculate the median age for SDA’s as around 39 years. That is about what you would predict for a religion that is neither growing not declining.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Sorry to be a bother shepherdless, but we need the JW figures to compare to make it meaningful. ;-)

5,700 Polynesians does tend to confirm what I said on the other thread.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

Just going to dump this and run...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit