JWs don’t break up families

by Jules Saturn 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jules Saturn
    Jules Saturn

I get very angry when I hear this claim being made by JWs and get even angrier when I read the article they have on their FAQ section on JW.org which I’ll leave a link here:

https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/families/

I know that the majority of this article is written about having a spouse that isn’t a believer and how the Bible encourages them to stay together but that’s one of the things that can cause division in a family, for an example if a son or daughter marry a nonbeliever or a worldly person the parents aren’t going to attend the wedding.

Once I was told by an elder that if I continued with my behavior of wanting to seek worldly friends and worldly companionship that I would have to leave my home because the Holy Spirit would leave my house and that would have a huge impact on my family. I’ve even been threatened by my parents to be cut off from my young siblings and telling me that I would never be able to see them again.

It’s crazy to me because they will make this claim that they don’t break up families when really that’s the opposite. And I ask to myself “Where is your humanity?” This should be a crime against humanity. I ask myself where is the biblical instruction on this? What happened to the parable of the Prodigal Son? As I said, it’s a very inhuman practice

~Jules

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather
    I ask myself where is the biblical instruction on this?

This is the Biblical principle:

Matt 10:34-36:

Do not think I came to bring peace to the earth; I came to bring, not peace, but a sword.+ 35 For I came to cause division, with a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.+ 36 Indeed, a man’s enemies will be those of his own household. 37 Whoever has greater affection for father or mother than for me is not worthy of me; and whoever has greater affection for son or daughter than for me is not worthy of me.+

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

The worst part is, Jules, they'll say it is YOU who is breaking the family apart. Classic abusive spouse approach: "You were the one who made me punch you! YOU were the one who did this to me!" Just keep reminding yourself that this logic holds no place in the real world, and try not to let it hurt your perception of yourself as a "bad" son/brother. As heavy and legitimate their insults may seem at the time, remind yourself that there's as much credibility to it as a murder who shot a person in the face claiming their victim "leaned into the bullet and got themSELVES shot."

Watch this video when you get 15 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Ths8n1QfY

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Jules - I get furious about the way they spin their lies.

They DO break up families. They do, they do, they bladdy well do!

Their unchristian 'theocratic warfare(tm)' scam to trick people into joining the cult is still alive and kicking.

As Hero of the ARC, Angus Stewart quite rightly said, 'It's a captive religion'.

I was told by an elder that if I continued with my behavior of wanting to seek worldly friends and worldly companionship that I would have to leave my home because the Holy Spirit would leave my house

What a mental pile of filth this bloke is. A pox on his eyes, I say.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Quite a blatant lie !

How can they say they dont break up families when then institute a ridged policy of dont talk or associate with another family member who leaves the JWS religion, who was either born into it or leave out their own personal decision .

How many other " Christian " based religions institute a rule like that ?

It should also be noted that some of these broken family relationships have indirectly caused some individuals to commit suicide.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Text message i got from my sister a while ago was:

We as a family are suffering because of you leaving Jehovah. I just hope you see that the world has nothing to offer you and when you return it'll be one of the happiest moments of my life.

Notice how it's my fault that the family is suffering. It wouldn't be the Watchtowers fault no-no-no.

In reality, the only thing stopping her carrying on having a normal brother/sister relationship with me is her or her beliefs.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I'll go ask my mom... oh wait, I'm not allowed to speak to her. Well then, I'll ask my brother, oh wait, the last time I said hi to him at a concert he turned and looked the other way. Fine, I'll ask my sister, except she shuns me too and I have no idea what city she even lives in or who her husband is since I know she was recently married and of course I wasn't invited. I'd ask my dad but he died and I wasn't invited to the memorial.

Okay then, maybe I'll ask my "worldly" family. Uh oh, I haven't seen them in decades since my parents decided when I was 8 or 9 to join a freaking cult.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

That's the biggest resentment I have with that organization, how it destroyed my and other people's families.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

They don't see it like that. They think it's the people who realise it's a cult and leave who split up the family. As my family kept telling me I caused this 'difficult situation.' Also when people join the cult and their family are puzzled by this weird religion, it's their fault for not giving up Christmas and birthdays.

You occasionally meet people who have this personality type where they never accept responsibility for their actions, it's always someone else's fault. With JWs we have an entire region that does that, they are never weird, they haven't split up the family it's everyone else in the world that's at fault for not giving up their whole life to fit in with them.

• Cimarrona
    Cimarrona

Sigh. It's disgusting. Even my "worldly" brother who slipped through the never baptized loophole and still has relationships with family members blames me for ruining our family. "You're the one with the power to change things," they say. By lying for the rest of my life to make y'all feel better about your cowardice? Nah, I'm good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit