WHO READ THE NEWSPAPER TODAY?

by bisous 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

I read the Wall Street Journal during the week, read the local paper (the Oregonian) on Sunday, read AP and Reuters news wire postings all week, and listen to NPR. I also read Slate.com's daily Today's Papers post, with a digest of the top stories from the WSJ, USA Today, the NT Times, the Washington Post, and the LA Times.

Then I read The Economist (a weekly newsmag from the UK that is very good) and probably about 7 other mags a month, from Shambhala Sun to Backpacker to Yoga Journal to Inc and Fast Company. The mags I usually read on plane trips.

I find that Time and Newsweek have been taken over by writers and editors who write like USA Today - competing for TV viewers.

I tend to watch The Daily Show and Countdown with Keith Olbermann, but other than that, I do not get much news on TV unless I'm watching CNN during a war or some breaking news situation.

PS. B, the reason I don't read the Oregonian during the week is that, despite its Pulitzer-winning status, I don't find it that good. I am working on reading the Metro and front-page sections more often, because I want to start following city, county, regional, and state government more. And I do read Willamette Week.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Watch the news on TV and read on Yahoo.

• bisous
    bisous

Phantom S., I agree with you about The Oregonian....although I've only been in Portland a few months, I've family here and have seen the Oregonian for some time....never struck a chord with me. I prefer smaller local papers too. Willamette Week and others seem more like SF Bay Guardian though. I'm trying to find smaller papers of interest, any recommendations? I'm surprised Oregon doesn't have more of an offering. My uncle used to be the editor of the News Times, a weekly I believe but I'm not sure it is still around. hmmm, I'll have to follow-up on that.

• bisous
    bisous

btt

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Bonjour Bisous,

Le Monde, Le Monde diplomatique, Le Canard enchaîné, Charlie-Hebdo, Le Monde libertaire + France-Infos and Internet...

• Special K
    Special K

I read the newspaper today... and most days..

sincerely

Special K

• bisous
    bisous

Charlie-Hebdo...? I am not familiar with it, but it has piqued my curiousity. I will investigate! thanks, Narkissos

It is interesting that there are no American or English citings. Many of my French friends use the press to improve/maintain their English.... and acquire ammunition for their silly American friends

• shamus
    shamus

Biscous,

I get my nightly propaganda from the television box.

It's all propaganda, news. It's made to interest people first, inform last. If a story in a place like, say, Cambodia isn't popular, they won't report it.

Yes, I do enjoy my nightly propaganda vomit from the television box, LOL!

• bisous
    bisous

well shamus, you are deprived....if tv is your primary source of information then no wonder you are frustrated with propaganda

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Hey, Shamus, if you use Chapstick like I do, your lips don't hurt after you read the paper :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit