WHO READ THE NEWSPAPER TODAY?

by bisous 20 Replies latest jw friends

• bisous
    bisous

I'm interested in learning how our JWD members obtain information? Do you read your news? Get it from radio? Television? Magazines? The Internet?

How do you think your source(s) influence your opinions and/or positions on current affairs issues? Please be specific both regarding your source(s) and influence....(e.g., CNN, FOX, NYT, etc.)

? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Magazine Newspaper Gossip Radio TV Computing

• Valis
    Valis

hiya biscuit!...When I'm at my crib the paper (Dallas Morning News)is around during the weekend and during the week I always read the paper my room mate picks up before school...most of the time though he leaves yesterday's paper so I stay about 1 day behind as far as the paper is concerned, but I watch the news regularly (CNN, Channel 8 local, ABC Nightly News, FOX, CSPAN) when something is happening so most of what I read the paper for is extra stuff the TV news doesn't bother with.....It really doesn't do much as far as my perception of things. The politicians are always greedy aholes replaced with other greedy aholes, wars will always happen, man's inhumanity to man will play out as long as we are around, overpopulation, famine, pestilence will always ruin parts of the earth, pollution will always be around and eventually cleaned up or moved off the planet, etc...I could go on, but I think you get my point. Call me jaded or apathetic, but not much suprises me.

edited to add that NPR radio is my fave for driving..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• bisous
    bisous

Nothing specific for today, I'm curious to see where people investigate what's going on in their world....local, national, global....we have some definite opinions represented here and I think it would be revealing for folks to discuss how they are formed...

BTW, *bisous* are those funny French double kisses (mwa...mwa) that are used to greet each other ... vs. the romantic kind...

although I think my nickname is just fine too

• Satanus
    Satanus

http://www.rense.com/ But, ignore the ufo stuff I also rely on people i meet and newspaper headlines. Who needs all those frigin tv broadcasts doing the same thing over a hundred times. This method lets me do additional research, rather than just swallowing the latest bilge.

SS

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hello Bisous,

My primary news source is the internet, where Reuters and the AP form the main sources for major stories. For political news, I usually listen to NPR. I listen to both their short-form articles and "All Things Considered." My local news is supplied by the public radio station that broadcasts NPR. I rarely if ever watch TV news, which I generally deplore. :)

SNG

• talesin
    talesin

Hey Bisous!

I watch CBC (kinda dry, not infotainment like the CTV which is similar to NBC/ABC, etc.) a couple times a week and read the local rag (mostly AP, a bit of local news). I mostly enjoy the 'Letters to the Editor', people are a hoot. Then I tune in to the Daily Show with Jon Stewart for nightly political satire. And I round it off by reading several subversive publications monthly (Mother Jones, Ms. & Adbusters). I also enjoy listening to the thoughts of those I come into contact with at work, and now that I'm hooked up, will probably find some new sources on the net.

mwah! mwah! (double kiss, or as I call it 'the Hollywood kiss')

talesin

• bisous
    bisous

Hey, lots of truth spoken by Jon Stewart! I guess I should have posted some of my own sources as well:

NPR - radio and net

International Herald Tribune, NYT, Le Monde - papers

cSpan

also surf some of the network sites (CNN, MSNBC, BBC, reuters, ap)

The New Yorker, The Economist, HBR - zines

• talesin
    talesin

I love the way Jon Stewart takes the actual footage of the news (not quoting or paraphrasing). He really points out the issues and what people say in specifics. He also usually gives me a much needed belly laugh-of-the-day. It also doesn't hurt that I'm just a bit of a leftie (not that it shows).

My father always said "don't believe anything you read, and only half of what you see" (hard to believe he's a JW elder sometimes - so sad).

t

• bisous
    bisous

wise man, talesin...'cept for the JW thing

• jgnat
    jgnat

When I care, I prefer news that is at least a week old. That way, all the rumor, innuendo and speculation has been sifted out, and I get a good synopsis of the story.

Besides, Time Magazine has nice pictures and graphs.

Otherwise, I pick up news by accident on the radio.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit