Pioneer Meeting

by Liberated 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

: At my daughter's pioneer meeting they were told that leaving literature in phone booths and laundromats is "littering".

Yes, this is true. This is true because leaving WT literature ANYWHERE is littering. Even house-broken cats have the common sense not to use it.

Farkel

• joelbear
    joelbear

This makes you wonder how many of the 20 million copies a week actually get read.

fascinating

Joel

• Francois
    Francois

Littering! Hell's bells, as far as I'm concerned putting them on your coffee table is littering!

How many are read? I'd say something on the order of 2.5 million. Period.

Franc

• Farkel
    Farkel

: This makes you wonder how many of the 20 million copies a week actually get read

I think you might be asking the wrong question, Joel. The question is "how many of the 20 million copies a week are purchased?"

The answer? ALL of them! Guess who gets all the money, and often gets it twice?

Farkel

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

The combined annual press run of the WT and Awake magazines is roughly two thousand million copies. If about a third of this is kept by JWs, then we can divide the remainder by the number of baptisms to get an estimate of how many pieces of "Bible based literature" are needed for one new convert.

The answer is that it takes about TEN THOUSAND literature placements to produce one new baptism. With an estimate of about US$0.50 per piece, that's five thousand dollars in advertising; perhaps twice as much in revenue given the double donation arrangement in some countries.

If the WTBTS was paying this money out of its own pocket, they would have switched to more efficient broadcast and direct mail a long time ago. Ah, but then how would they have the cash for the Patterson "educational" complex, the Hawaii "educational" complex, or the "travelling" work for the Brooklyn elite?

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Running Man:

I loved the comment about entire tribes being converted by a single page found in a dumpster.

This is another urban myth, this time obviously adapted by the WBTS from a very old urban myth which has been doing the rounds within Christendom for at least 150 years. I read it in a book once in this form: a page from a Bible blew overboard from a ship to a nearby island. The entire population were converted to Christianity as a result. Of course, there was no source and no answers to obvious questions raised such as: "Which island?", "Which page of the Bible?", "How were the natives able to read and understand that page?", etc.

The WBTS version is even more absurd. The only page from a Watchtower which could possibly lead to conversion like this is the "Would you like a visit?" page - which would lead to the love-bombing and indoctrination which then results in conversion.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Stephanus,

The WBTS version is even more absurd.

Don't read too much in to my original comment...I'd hate to be the originator of yet another urban myth. I made my comment up although it is based on stories I have either heard or read. One was the guy who found a Watchtower magazine in a dumpster and found the "truth". The other was based on the story of a magazine left with a tribal chief who distributed individual pages and some who read the pages found the "truth". But that sounds about as absurd as my contrived version!!!

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• Rex B13
    Rex B13

Hey Fark,
    You forgot their best use: lining bird cages.
    Rex

• esther
    esther

Farkel, you said

Yes, this is true. This is true because leaving WT literature ANYWHERE is littering. Even house-broken cats have the common sense not to use it.

The magazines do have uses. I have seen roll-your-own cigarettes made using the pages of the WT
    esther

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit