Money and the Meetings a Problem?

by Blueblades 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

A friend of ours was told that he/she would be taken off as the beneficiary of a large amount of money unless he/she would come back to the meetings and go out in the field service.

Our friend has been fading for quite some time now.The person who put him/her as beneficiary won't have anything to do with him/her unless he/she comes back to the meetings and participates in the field service.

He/she will not be bribed and will lose the large amount of money he/she stands to gain because of refusing to be compromised as to what is known about the society now.

His/her friend only knows that he/she has family and personal concerns as the reason he/she don't go to meetings anymore.Letting the friend know the real reasons would certainly be cause for him/her to be removed as the beneficiary of a large amount of money.

Our advice to him/her was to be true to ones self even though this would be financially difficult.

The reason we are putting the person as him/her is to protect the identity of the individual friend of ours.

We would appreciate some of your thoughts concerning this matter.

Blueblades

• dustyb
    dustyb

exactly how much money are we talking about here? cuz personally i suggest that there's not enough money in the world to get me to take the dip and go back out in field service

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

GO BACK, AND WHEN YOU GET THE MONEY, GIVE HALF OF IT TO SILENT LAMBS! GOD WILL UNDERSTAND!

• bigboi
    bigboi

No amount of money is worth someone's personal freedom. I would just have to take the loss.

Depending on the amount though, I might be willing to fake it just a lil bit.

• minimus
    minimus

If this person has principles, then the answer is obvious. No amount of money should make a person compromise their core values.

• minimus
    minimus

If this person has principles, then the answer is obvious. No amount of money should make a person compromise their core values.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

hmmmm, how healthy is the person with the money? sounds a little like extortion to me, how does that person justify that?

• La Capra
    La Capra

There is no guarantee that

1) returning to the meetings will mean the would-be beneficiary would be reinstated, or remain as such.

2) the benefactor will maintain obligations keeping in tact the trust, life insurance, will, etc. that would ensure a distribution.

3) the benefactor won't establish the distribution of the contents of the funds through a trust with conditions requiring continued meeting attendance.

4) the benefactor won't threaten to remove the would-be beneficiary for the next manipulative demand.

Try this. "Give me the money now, and then I'll come back." Beneficiary will be told there is no guarantee that he'll continue with meeting attendance. To this beneficiary could say, there's no guarantee that the will won't be changed either.

It would be unfortunate to compromise or sacrifice ones needs on something that has no guarantees on a future payoff based on someone else's generosity, largesse or flat out manipulation. One ought never be cowed by threats to be removed as an heir or beneficiary, because the source of that money is always someone else's hard work, not the beneficiary's. If it's viewed that way, it might be easier to swallow.

People in general would be a lot happier if they kept their eyes on their own papers and forgot about what they may get the easy way. Living by your own rules is better than anything else. I wouldn't waste my time with this relative, she is cruel, manipulative, and should know better, for "Jehovah knows the true heart condition."

Shoshana

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

My mom pulled this crap on me,

I said "what you haven't given all to the Watchtower yet, what are you waiting for?", she was speechless, and yes i am still in the will, for now.

• Golf
    Golf

When I first read this post, I said, the hell with it, but on second thoughts, why not ask further questions, why allow others to benefit from her inheritance. What does the WILL specify about her receiving any benfits? Does the Will require that she attend all meetings and service or is it a hoax? Did she make any contractual agreements?

I've been in two situations in which money was involved and I backed off. I've had second thoughts about it a number of times and I should have followed up in it. But then again, that's me. The choice is hers. She should check what the Will really specify's.

Guest 77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit