"They're out to get me!"

by Nan 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Nan
    Nan

Is it my imagination, or do Jehovah Witnesses have an "everyone is against me" attitude?? Our daughter-in-law (who is a JW) seems to have this mind-set. Whether its getting the car repaired, going to the doctor, work done on the house, etc., they ALL have "ripped her off". Every time! It's like the whole world is out to get her! Is it just HER, or does the Borg instill these "fears" in their members??

Thanks!

Nan

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

do Jehovah Witnesses have an "everyone is against me" attitude??

MOST DEFINITELY IMHO

• Strawberryfieldsforever
    Strawberryfieldsforever

Yes Yes Yes.

My Mom is the same way. I was actually embarassed to be seen with her cause she was always complaining to the store clerks about getting ripped off on some product. It's so funny you should mention it. I thought my Mom was the only one who did this. It probably does have something to do with the "out to get us" attitude.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Absolutely! It's JWs and Jehovah vs. the World and Satan. It took me a LONG time to get out of that thinking pattern. Sometimes I still struggle with it 13 years later!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Yup... it's a persecution complex.

The WTS is a product that is being sold. One of their main features is persecution.

People who like to be persecuted are attracted to the product.

I always noticed how the JWs pointed out the scripture about people seeking to have their ears tickled and therefore avoiding the WTS. What they fail to see is that JWs get their ears tickled by being persecuted. Sort of like a sadomasochist.

They are not happy unless they think they are being persecuted.

• Mary
    Mary
    Whether its getting the car repaired, going to the doctor, work done on the house, etc., they ALL have "ripped her off". Every time! It's like the whole world is out to get her! Is it just HER, or does the Borg instill these "fears" in their members??

Well, it sounds as though she's just looking for an excuse to blame everyone else for her problems. The Witnesses generally have the "their out to get me" attitute when it comes to the religion. After all, you're either for Jehovah's Kingdom or Satan's world . They generally will say though that all these things are a sure sign that we're living in the Last Centuries Days, but I wouldn't say that all Dubs accuse everyone of "ripping them off".

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Oh yes, the JW mindset is "it's us Jehovah's approved people against the whole world". It's the doctrine that gets taught meeting after meeting; after years of this much pounding 5 times per week, every JW sincerely believes it in his/her heart.

DY

• Nocturne
    Nocturne

This sounds exactly like my mom. Someone is always out to get her. It's definitely due to the wts' teachings since the entire world is under Satan's influence, therefore everything anyone who isn't a jw does must be bad, or have something wrong with it.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I know this is a mouthful, but it really does sum up the tension living inside a Witness:

Finally, an important tension that pervades Witness discourse is the transformative and revolutionary potential of the Society's iconoclastic millennialism, contrasted with the Society's posture of apocalyptic ennui and social resignation that rejects any attempt to reform or redeem the present world system hopelessly dominated by satanic power.

From: You can Live Forever on Paradise Earth - The Visual Rhetoric of Jehovah's Witness Iconography by Joel Elliott

?and from their own words,

THE Bible foretold that in "the last days," there would be "critical times hard to deal with." Evidence clearly shows that we are living in that time, for people are?true to the prophecy?"self-assuming, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride."?2 Timothy 3:1-5.

http://www.watchtower.org/library/g/1998/3/22/article_04.htm

I must hear that critical times quote at least three times a week.

• franklin J
    franklin J

they like to think that they are all persecuted for their faith in Jehovah.

Kind of hard to do when you live and practive your religion in free country...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit