As a school teacher, how should I treat witness kids?

by Atilla 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Tell them you're disfellowshipped. That'll screw with the parents :D

Just kidding. Just basically treat them as you'd treat the other students. If they need to stand out in the hall or not engage in any holiday stuff, grant them that respect. If they hand you the school brochure, hand it back and tell them you're disfellowshipped. If they do an essay based on WT publications, give them an F :D

Yeah, I'm being an ass. Basically, they're just kids with stupid beliefs forced upon them. It's not their fault.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I think that you will find that any JW kids in your classes will not be troublemakers or disruptive, even though their non-participation in the flag salute and other school activities may make them the objects of peer scorn.

Rather than do anything that could be seen as a direct attack on the Watchtower, you could develop a curriculum about the value of man's rational mind, and how to make decisions and how to analyse and solve problems. As a part of this, you could have the class research the effect of cults. You could probably safely do a study of the Jim Jones massacre, the Heaven's Gate cult suicide, and the history of the Seekers flying saucer cult from the 50s (see book"When Prophecies Fail"). It may be possible to then examine what happened to the Adventist followers of William Miller and the resulting "great disappointment of 1844."

This might be a helpful resource: http://www.abhota.info/end1.htm

http://www.phraser.org/tt/tales/saucer.shtml

http://www.skeptica.dk/arkiv_us/017_wegner2.htm

http://religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu/nrms/millennium/false.html

• Badger
    Badger

I have only two JW kids in my classes...I've found that I still stick up for JW's in history (positions in favor of the First Amendment, suffering at the hands of the Holocaust) because I'm a pro-underdog type.

I use it as a topic for discussion...and I also throw in about how unpopular religions help us preserve our freedoms and what would happen if such a group were in charge of the whole nation...to get the separation of church and state lesson started. And, like Nathan suggested, I will be pro-human spirit in my lessons.

If a kid asks, I was a Witness, but don't go anymore. I also let him know that Although they can't speak to me spiritually, they can talk to me any other way they wish and that I'll treat them fairly.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    Instead of attacking just JWs, why not set the groundwork for ALL kids so they don't get sucked into the JWs or any OTHER cult. Teach them to critically evaluate EVERYTHING by asking questions like:
    • Is it true?
    • Does it serve my best interests?
    • Does it advance and protect my health and well-being, or the health and well-being of people I care about?
    • Does it help me achieve my personal goals?

Teaching kids how to THINK for themselves is the best way to help them get a leg up on the JWs. It will help kids to stay away from ANY belief system that doesn't have THEIR best interests at heart and will give JW kids some critical thinking tools to help them get out before they commit their lives to the WTS.

This is GREAT advice! I remember as a kid, asking my dad questions, sometimes because I was too lazy to think for myself. More often than not, he'd answer me back with "What do you think it is? What evidence/facts do you have to work with?" Little did he know that teaching me to THINK FOR MYSELF would get me out of the WTS for good. LOL!

• garybuss
    garybuss

We never had a flag salute in high school in the 50's and 60's when I was there. Guess it must be different now. Leave it to the Witnesses to turn something political into religion. But then . . . book selling is their worship and politics and medical treatment are religious behaviors.

I hated being a Witness kid. It was hard. My parents were stupid to put me through that. I pity all Witness kids. GaryB

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I dunno, the question is a bit silly really...would you try to talk devout muslim kids out of being muslim and discourage them from going to pray during the school day?

You're in public education which means you keep your opinions to yourself and nod and smile at the beliefs of others no matter how upset it makes you feel. Somehow as a teacher you wave your right to an opinion on politics and religion. Doesn't mean you don't have them, it just means no one wants to hear them. It's not fair really, but what are you gonna do?

Frankly you're going to have a lot more than JW kids that won't stand and participate in the flag salute. I am in a high school right now and there are plenty that don't stand or acknowledge what's going on during homeroom on Monday.(mandatory flag salute and pledge of allegence every Monday morning). My personal opinion is forced obedience to a national icon is asinine and defeats the purpose of people paying heartfelt tribute to something. But that's an opinion I keep to myself.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I went through all of school as a Jehovah's Witness, and I'm glad to see that the school system, because of the emphasis on diversity, is a lot kinder than it used to be. My children's teachers were very gentle with my children, made sure they weren't embarrassed and stopped other children from embarrassing them. When our stand on just about everything changed, they were nice about that too and let the children decide for themselves what they were ready to do and not do. I really REALLY appreciate that.

Just be approachable and always willing to listen. Teachers are, next to parents, the MOST important people in a child's life and it is so wonderful when they can have good memories of kind, caring people who are personally interested in THEM. I'm thrilled at your choice of careers!

Love,

Nina

• shamus
    shamus

Remember that it's not they're beliefs but they're parents beliefs. They want to please they're parents, so they follow they're rules.

Treat them with respect, and if they get self-rightcheous on you, put them in they're place by saying nice things like "I don't discriminate between human beings. That's what Jesus taught us.". That's all. I don't think you need to treat them any differently.

Of course, you could beat them more, LOL!

• logansrun
    logansrun

Personally I don't like the flag-salute for anyone. I don't pledge allegience (unequivical devotion) to anyone or anything. Besides that, good points so far in this thread.

B.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Atilla,

We have a common interest. When I grow up and quit playing Army I too want to be a High School history teacher...last I checked we weren't doing the Pledge in our High Schools.

But, to answer your question, don't single the kid out, and don't talk religion with him/her.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit