Are things REALLY getting worse? JWs are so pessimistic...

by somebodylovesme 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

One of the things that always puzzled me about the Witnesses' doctrine was this idea that we are living in the worst time the world has ever seen - that the twentieth century has surpassed all others in death and destruction. Am I only the only crazy fool who thinks we have it pretty good?

A hundred years ago, people died from diseases that are easily treated today. We have vaccinations that are unique to the 20th century. We have technologies that improve our quality of life when we are ill and injured - surgeries that can remobilize the paralyzed - and drugs that can put even the deadliest viruses at bay.

Earthquakes... I'm not an expert, but I know Witnesses tout that earthquakes have gotten worse in the past hundred years. Is that totally accurate? Not by my research. The deadliest earthquake was in 1556 in China - 850,000 perished. Other big ones... Syria in the 1100s and two in Iran in the 800s... these killed more than the deadliest of the 20th century. What is the foundation of this earthquake terror?

Crime is bad - but it's getting better. Crime rates continue to go down in the US (even though the TV news would have you believe we are all dying in the streets... overdramatization at its best).

I'm not saying the world is perfect - believe me. I have family in Africa right now working with children orphaned by AIDS. I know. But to say that the trouble of the 20th century (and now, 21st) is so unique and so unprecedented.... that sounds absurd to me. There has always been war, disease, hunger, and hatred. Why is it so special now?

So my question is - how do Witnesses ignore history? How can they say it's all unique and so much worse?

SLM

• JH
    JH

It all depends where you look. Certain things are going better and other are worse.

To sell their religion, they have to show that the glass is half empty.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Of course things in general are improving - life expectancy -- no plague/black death etc. As one poster phrased it The WTBTS is a glass is half empty organization -- if they were not they could not attract members -- I became a witness because they convinced me things were getting worse and I did not want to die at Armageddon --- usually I am a Glass is Half Full person

• undercover
    undercover

I like to look at it this way: What century would you want to live in? What century is more enlightened, has more medical knowledge and experience, has more knowledge scientifically able to debunk myths and legends told for centuries, has more conveniences which makes day to day life easier and has life a higher life expectancy than the last century/first of this century? Violence is worse now? I don't know. There have been some terrible things to happen over the centuries. Centuries ago, if you lived miles from a town center, there was no police or fire dept or rescue squad. You were on your own. There was no electricity. There was no running water. There was no sanitary system. There was no 8 hour work day with time and a half for overtime. Heck with that. Give me modern conveniences, medical knowledge, entertainment and I'll put up with the crime rate as best I can.

While I watch movies or read books from historical times and wonder how cool it would have been to live then, I wouldn't want to live then. We're watching history with 20/20 hindsight. To live then, we would probably be one of the superstitious, uneducated, nameless, lower class people that history doesn't remember.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

What surprised me recently was a bethelite friend of mine who I served with years ago who is a hevie now in the writing department in paterson tried to convince me that we are close to the end because of "global warming". He further explained that "global warming" also causes cold tempertures and frigid weather. Is this all they have to grasp at now. When you look at record setting tempertures on a day by day basis over the past hundred years we have had record warm days in the early 1900's and record cold tempertures in the early 1900's as well. I always thought that Jehovah would not let man destroy the earth.

What a bunch of HOG WASH!

• robhic
    robhic

Somebodylovesme made a comment regarding earthquakes. I'm glad you asked! I have been waiting to share this information for a while. The first part (statistics) is from the US Geological Survey and their website address is at the top.

The second part is obviously from WTS sources and it seems that the WTS is finally admitting that their stance on increased earthquake and other earth-changing activity is flawed. Enjoy. (Bold emphasis mine)

Robert

http://wwwneic.cr.usgs.gov/neis/general/handouts/increaseinearthquakes.html

Date Location Deaths

======================================

January 23, 1556 China, Shansi 830,000
    August 9, 1138 Syria, Aleppo 230,000

December 22, 856+ Iran, Damghan 200,000

March 23, 893+ Iran, Ardabil 150,000

December 28, 1908 Italy, Messina 70,000 to 100,000
    September, 1290 China, Chihli 100,000

November, 1667 Caucasia, Shemakha 80,000

November 18, 1727 Iran, Tabriz 77,000

November 1, 1755 Portugal, Lisbon 70,000

1268 Asia Minor, Silicia 60,000

January 11, 1693 Italy, Sicily 60,000

February 4, 1783 Italy, Calabria 50,000

====================================================

The article is from the Awake! March 22, 2002 it is entitled, "Earthquakes, Bible Prophecy, And You"

"BEFORE his death, Jesus foretold events and situations that would give evidence that this world had entered "the conclusion of the System or things." That period, he said, would be marked by such things as' pestilences, food shortages, and large-scale warfare. He also mentioned "great earthquakes"
    that would occur "in one place after another." (Matthew 24:3,7; Luke 21:10, 11) Was Jesus referring to our day?
    Many say no. They assert that the number of earthquakes has not substantially increased in recent decades. In fact, the U.S. National Earthquake Information Center reports that earthquakes of 7.0 magnitude' and greater remained "fairly constant" throughout the 20th century."

====================================================

Watchtower 12/1/93

page 6 paragraph 2 Natural Disasters-Is God Responsible?

In this regard, note what the book Natural Disasters-Acts of God or Acts of Man? has to say: "There is no evidence that the climatological mechanisms associated with droughts, floods and cyclones are changing. And no geologist is claiming that the earth movements associated with earthquakes, volcanoes and tsunami (earthquake waves) are becoming more violent." Similarly, the book Earthshock observes: "The rocks of every continent contain a record of innumerable major and minor geological events, every one of which would be a catastrophic disaster to mankind if they occurred today-and it is scientifically certain that such events will occur again and again in the future." In other words, the earth and its dynamic forces have more or less remained the same throughout the ages. Hence, whether or not some statistics indicate an increase of some forms of geologic or other activity, the earth has not become uncontrollably violent in recent times.

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

Thanks for posting that, robhic! That's exactly what I was wondering - how they dealt with the facts! Very interesting. I think the only things I had read from the WTS were older... so, good to see.

And I agree - I would not want to live in any other time than this.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

"Critical time, hard to deal with... if the days were not cut short no flesh would survive." That's what they like to say.

Looks like "flesh" is surviving, even flourishing... especially in the 20th and 21st centuries.

• ball.
    ball.

Life expectancy is much longer - I don't know exactly but I guess double what it was a century ago when you factor in the infant mortality rate.

Wasn't man's short life a result of falling from perfection? What about predictions that life will be prolonged further by genetic enhancements?

• Puternut
    Puternut

I think things are much better now;

Modern technology, Movies, Air conditioning, Elevators, Cars, Remote Control, Air Travel, Internet, Cell phones, better sex, better drugs............

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit