Was wondering.......

by Nan 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Nan
    Nan

I was wondering if JWs have to BUY their WT & Awake magazines that they distribute door to door? Also, are they required to SELL them or do they just GIVE them away at the door? If they sell them, do they keep the money....or have to give it to the (b)org?

Thanks....I was just curious.

Nan :o)

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

JWs are supposed to make a contribution at the magazine counter and then "ask or suggest" a contribution at the door and then give all the money to the worldwide work in the box at the back of the hall and then make additional voluntary donations as well

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

When they pick up their literature from the literature counter, they will get some very ugly looks if they do not put some cash in the "donation" box right next to the counter.

The people behind the literature counter also reserve the right to refuse to give the literature to anyone they wish. If they think you are wasting literature or are not paying... err... donating... they WILL refuse to give you things. I know this for a fact because as a Ministerial Servant one of my responsibilities was to maintain the literature counter and the elders were constantly hounding me about not giving the literature to just anyone... especially if I did not know them (walk-in from the street) or if the elders specifically pointed out someone that I was not supposed to give literature to.

• Dawn
    Dawn
    elders specifically pointed out someone that I was not supposed to give literature to.

That's funny..."We alone have the life saving message......but you didn't give us enough money so YOU can't have it!" Hmmm I wonder what Jesus thinks about them selling his "free lifegiving water".........well - I guess we already know - look what he did to the money changers in the temple!

• Sassy
    Sassy

In other words they are guaranteed that the literature is paid for. You must give them money when you pick them up and then when people donate money at the door and you are told to ask them if they care to donate to the WORLD WIDE WORK, that means you can't reimburse what you paid with their donations, you must put the money towards that work. DOUBLE payment sometimes..

• joenobody
    joenobody

Dawn,

You bring up a good point. If it indeed were the TRUTH and it was important to get the message out to as many people as possible, then why in the age of the most important information dissemination tool (the Internet) does the WTS not publish all of it's magazines online? Wouldn't it save a ton of paper? Wouldn't it be a way to put literature into the hands of most people in the Western world instead of having to print it all? This line of reasoning makes sense, unless of course... $$$

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I forgot to ask about your name Nan... are you a programmer? "Nan" is a value used in some programming languages.

• undercover
    undercover
    ...the elders were constantly hounding me about not giving the literature to just anyone... especially if I did not know them (walk-in from the street) or if the elders specifically pointed out someone that I was not supposed to give literature to.

So much for giving life's water free....

• franklin J
    franklin J

back when I was a pioneer; ( middle 70s) I recall getting the literature from the bookcounter and magazine counter at "pioneer rate". If my memory serves me correctly;for a penny each for magazines. We had our quota of placing--I believe 25 per month. Magazines that could not be sold for 5 cents each ( the 4 cents difference was intended to pay for gas) were distributed at the train stations; laundamats; etc. or what we called "backcalls or return visits"

• Nan
    Nan

Thanks for the info! I'd always been curious about that. Sounds like the WT has it pretty well "figured out", don't they?

Elsewhere: No, I'm not a programmer. Nan is just simply my name (short for Nancy).

(I'm such a Newbie, I don't know how to attach someone's comment into my post! heh heh)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit