French MP's ban all overt religious symbols from the classroom

by yxl1 57 Replies latest jw friends

• yxl1
    yxl1
    I must admit, I was happy when the bill was past taken from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3474673.stm French MPs back headscarf ban
    Muslim protester There are about five million Muslims living in France
    French MPs have voted by a massive majority to ban the Islamic headscarf and all other overt religious symbols from state schools.

The bill was passed by 494 votes to 36. It now goes to the upper house, the Senate, for approval.

The wearing of Jewish skullcaps, large Christian crosses and probably Sikh turbans would also be banned.

About 70% of French people back the controversial law - and even 40% of Muslim women, according to some polls.

Most French MPs backed the bill on the grounds that it protected the secularity of the French state, by keeping religion out of the classroom.

'Intolerant'

The bill also has the guarded backing of one of the highest authorities in Sunni Islam - the Grand Sheikh of Egypt's al-Azhar mosque.

Speaking after meeting French Interior Minister Nicholas Sarkozy in Cairo in December, Mohammed Sayed Tantawi said Muslim women may ignore the obligation to wear a headscarf if the law where they lived demanded so.

altaltaltReaction in UK schools

But some French MPs, backed by Muslim leaders and rights groups, warn the proposed law could be seen as intolerant and undermine the integration of France's Muslims.

Already, the prospect of the new law has squandered much of the goodwill President Jacques Chirac built up in Muslim countries when he opposed the war in Iraq, says the BBC's Caroline Wyatt in Paris.

Saudi Arabia's top cleric has accused the proposed French law of violating the human rights it claims to be defending.

The Indian government has reportedly told France to handle the ban with "sensitivity" and the issue may well be raised during this week's visit by French Foreign Minister Dominique de Villepin.

India is home to the Sikh faith, whose male followers are required to keep their long hair wrapped in a turban.

Protests

There have been protests against the law in India and amongst France's 7,000 strong Sikh community.

The International Helsinki Federation for Human Rights has also warned the French government against the ban, as has US-based advisory group, the Commission on International Religious Freedom.

Some French MPs claim young Muslim women are being forced to wear the headscarf, though the few hundred who have turned out for demonstrations against the new law say they wear it of their own free will.

Unspoken in this entire debate is the government's need to boost its own popularity, and combat a rise in support for the far-right National Front, ahead of key regional elections next month, Caroline Wyatt says.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I disagree with this position, it stinks to high heaven of discrimination. It's targeted mostly and muslim girls. It's just plain wrong. God forbid the US ever go this route. What's next, a round up of Jews and Muslims?

• Simon
    Simon

That's incorrect.

While most of the publicity is surrounding muslim headscarfs, it also applies to skullcaps, crucifixes and turbans

It is a damn good thing IMO. France is definitely taking the lead in dealing with religious bigotry and dangerous cults.

People can practice religion at home but when they go to school they should not try to impose their views and standards on others or make public displays of it IMO.

They should have included JW kids taking literature in ...

• Englishman
    Englishman

Ah..Yeru & Simon again..

*nibble munch*

Englishman.

• nobody told me
    nobody told me

Not good for the Jw's who owe tax $$$$$ in France.

• Celia
    Celia

I entirely agree with Simon, well said :

People can practice religion at home but when they go to school they should not try to impose their views and standards on others or make public displays of it IMO.

They should have included JW kids taking literature in ...

• scotsman
    scotsman

I have to say that I am uneasy with this decision.

Simon, in what sense are the yarmulka and turban connected to "religious bigotry and dangerous cults"?

• yxl1
    yxl1

There was a french MP on the BBC last night defending the new ruling. The bottom line was that if you come to live in our country, you live by our rules. He went on to say that if he went to a Muslim country, he would have no choice but to follow their rules and local customs. I agree with this 100%. Its just so sad how in the UK, we seem to bend over backwards to push the rights of ethnic groups before our own.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

I wonder how long before anyone gets disciplined or called on the carpet for practicing good morals?

Guest 77

• Satanus
    Satanus

Practice all the good morals you want, but stop all evangelism. In other words, live and let live.

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit