Jws writing 2 relatives of the Breaved

by badboy 13 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

I understand that some jws write 2 the relatives of those in the newspaper obituaries,trying 2 convert them.

1 ex-jw says she did that.

know any instances.

• dustyb
    dustyb

actually, you know, i heard something funny a few months ago. one of my friends father (hardcore dub) owns a computer shop. a customer came in and it just so happened that his wife died a few days before that. immediately my friends dad asked if he wanted to study the bible, etc etc. i haven't heard him mention them since, and i haven't seen anybody new at the KH...

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

My perspective on JWs and their ambulance-chasing approach to bereavement:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/50645/1.ashx

• alias
    alias

I wrote several letters to some in my community when we had some tragic accidents involving teenagers and a bus/train crash. It wasn't so much to convert them than it was to express my condolences and to share the hope of the resurrection. I would sometimes include a tract and comforting thoughts from the Bible. My letters were sincere and written out genuine compassion for the difficult time they were going through.

It was the most quality time I ever spent in "service."

Death sucks. It's nice to know people care, especially strangers. I'd do it now too, except I'd leave out the Biblical references and religious overtones. It would be a neighborly gesture, not a preaching one.

alias

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

My wife's uncle has back problems. So, as a method of getting his time in (he's an elder) he would write to people listed in the obituaries of the paper. I had known about this for quite a while, but one day, he mentioned that he had gotten a nasty response.

He showed me his letter, and the response. I was dumbfounded. I had known that this man had only about a grade four education, but he spoke well, so I assumed his writing was comparable. It wasn't. His letter looked like it had been written by a five year old. The grammer, spelling, and punctuation was apalling. It was a complete embarassment.

The response he received was pretty ugly - and rightly so. It complained about opportunistic and unfeeling nature of people who prey on the bereaved.

He doesn't do that anymore.

• mouthy
    mouthy

GUILTY!!!! as Charged ... Well what the hang do you expect. I wanted to get into the Kingdum.... I have Rheamatoid Arth: Had to get my time in.....I went from door to door- placed Mags: in hospitals, laundry mats,sent them to all I worked with ,gave then to Drs nurses, Stood on the street corners before 9 .So Now I expect you all to say Poor Grace!!! A real NUT!!!!!Yeah!!! I know

• lollydawdle
    lollydawdle

I admit to writing to one relative but not two! Shame on me for not being a "good" witness like Mouthy!! I guess I cared more about getting my time in than I did about the people. Come to think of it, I could have had twice the time in service if I'd thought of writing to two relatives!!! How stupid I was!!!

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

One month after her husband died, a woman in my office got a hand-written letter from a JW. It was very distasteful.

Devon

• Sassy
    Sassy

Oh yeah they do that all the time. Where ever they can find an opening.. they use it.

• badboy
    badboy

oNLY SHOWS HOW LOW u CAN GET.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit