The true approved religion

by Galimo 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Galimo
    Galimo

One of the arguments i used to use while going from door to door was:

If we would now live in the time of ancient israel and if we would want to adore God in the correct way then we would have to be part of the choosen people of Israel. Adapt to its laws and customs, etc. That was the right religion then.

If we would now live in the time of Jesus and if we would want to adore God in the correct way then we would have to be part of the fellowship of Jesus and his ancient christian congregation. That was the right religion then.

Now we live in 2004... if we wish to adore God in the correct way then we need to associate with the correct religion.

The issues is: which one is the correct one?

Going from door to door I of course implied that JW is the correct one. With all its strings attached, if we liked it or not.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Before the nation of Israel came to be, what was the correct way to "adore" God?

From the end of the first century until 1919, what was the correct way to "adore" God?

• joenobody
    joenobody

The flaw in that reasoning was that Isreal, Jesus etc were the approved religion of the time simply because the Bible said so. As well, Jesus abolished the law. The Old Testament is nothing more than a mythicized version of Jewish History.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Who said there is ONE correct way to "adore" God?

Who said God wanted and needed to be "adored"?

Did God really state or imply either of the above? Or did some people (Bible writers and other religious pioneers) do so?

Since if God created mankind, he did so in a manner to make an infinite variety possible, why would there only be "one" way that he would like to be acknowledged?

• franklin J
    franklin J

From my perspective; why would we think that the ancient nation of Isreal represented "God" ?

Why would a monotheistic entity be represented by Israel and not Egypt under the rule of Akhenaten?

Because they told us in the Bible? Sorry, but I am too secular to accept that argument.

Ancient Rome on the other hand....now we are talking !

• franklin J
    franklin J

Galimo--

Welcome to the forum!

Frank

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    Now we live in 2004... if we wish to adore God in the correct way then we need to associate with the correct religion.

Can you prove that statement to be true ?, Or are you quoting the WT?

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

If you really like God, adore Him, you don't have join a certain fan club - people adore Him wherever they may be, or He is - doesn't change much.

But, jw "adore" = "pay homage"

There's a language problem with jwism, and it instills a strange kind of confusion - some people call it lies - it's easy to say confusing things about apples when you're actually talking about oranges.

• worldlygirl
    worldlygirl

God, in the Christian theological sense, is omnipotent, all loving, all knowing, the Creator of everyone and everything. I have always had trouble with the fact that he would need or demand to be adored or worshipped... that he created all of us just so he could be admired. Seems kind of petty for a such a powerful being.

• Dawn
    Dawn

My response to the JW who uses that argument on me now:

Me: "So - what do I need to do to be saved?

Them: a whole list of things that "God Requires"

Me: You know, Nicodemus asked Jesus the same thing and he did'nt say any of that - his response to Nicodemus is that you must be "born again" - but you didn't mention that - why?

Them: a long explanation that only the 144,000 are "born again" and the rest of us can only be saved if we stick with the 144,000

Me: "so - someone already asked Jesus this question and he answered it. But now you are telling me not to listen to Jesus - I should listen to you instead?"

No thanks!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit