Help w/Art Memorial Project

by Valis 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Valis
    Valis

My good friend, colleague, fellow teacher and beer drinking buddy Wayne Myers died of cancer last week. He died of chemo poisoning before the cancer could kill him. He taught biology and was from Kansas. A descendant of a Dutch immigrant and a farming family. He loved tractors. I had a moment of inspiration last night after finishing off the beer and about ready to go to bed. What I want to do is get a small old tractor and teraform it. Think Chia-tractor if you will. A living sculpture I think he would enjoy from a biology aspect and a tractorial *LOL* aspect. I got halfway approval from the VP of the campus today and now all I need to do is figure out how to make it work. So, maybe there's at least one thing you can help me with.

How do I get moss or other plants growing on the outside of old metal?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Xena
    Xena

Not sure how it happens....but it seems to just spontaniously appear on stuff at my house

That is a really nice idea though Valis. Your a pretty cool guy.

• Badger
    Badger

How about some soil under the hood with some light allowed in?

Great Idea...I'm sure he'd dig it.

• franklin J
    franklin J

wonderful and sensitive idea, Valis; your friend is smiling somewhere at the thought of this.

I suggest that you DO NOT use a real tractor. Have someone sculpt a tractor out of Terra Cotta clay on site. This will allow the growth to actually live and grow on the clay.

good luck, and send us a picture when you are done!

Frank

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

sorry about your friend Travis.

Give me a call, I've actually thought about this in the past, lol, so I have some ideas.

• Valis
    Valis

Thanks for your suggestions so far!

Hey X, maybe you want to send me some/lots of the little moss plants that grow on all the trees down your way. A perfect kind of plant that requires little if any maintenance.

Badger, great idea!

Franklin...there is a rather ambitious and tempting project. I haven't done any sculpting in a long time. I was also thinking a wood carving maybe...

Sexy Six...please PM w/your digits. Eheheh great minds an all that...

SIncerely,

District Overbeer

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

What a wonderful idea! I know your friend would appreciate it.

Nina

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

I don't have much to say about the project and all, as cultivating plants is not my specialty.

However I wanted to say Valis that your memorial project for your friend is one of the nicest things I have read on this site in quite some time. Acts of love and kindness like that are touching, even to those who did not know the person you have lost.

On another note, how did you manage to get the amazon.com ad in your initial post on this thread to be for John Deere Tractors? That is NOT a coincidence LOL.

• talesin
    talesin

{{{{Valis}}}}}

I'm sorry you have lost your old friend, esp. in such a horrid way.

I'm thinking chicken wire & spaghnum moss as an overlay on the body? It makes a beautiful base for vines. They love rooting into that moss.

best wishes,

talesin

• Valis
    Valis

*LOL* Hey rebbies...thanks for the comments. He was a great guy...cranky, lecherous, intelligent, beer drinker, farmer in the summer when school was out and winter wheat was in. Oh and about the tractors thing and the website...a thread has ads in it that get chosen by keywords. You will notice it in all the threads or at least ones that have the same word/words repeated.

To add, I just sent a letter to the Pres of our college and am waiting for the 'yes"...However, my other good friend and colleague happens to be the VP so I aint ascared...*LOL*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit