Alone and Lost. Please help me understand.

by Amy in PA 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Amy in PA
    Amy in PA

Background information:First of all, I am not a JW. I divorced my husband due to his alcohol addiction and because he repeatedly refused to seek help. I could no longer carry the burden, and so after 30 years, I left. Some time after this, I fell in love with a married man, a JW. We had been friends for years , having many things in common. His wife is also an alcoholic. She has never been able to kick the habit, either.

The love between us brought us both happiness and we talked many times about the day we would be married. I always believed we could manage this. I am now finding out more about the JW beliefs (scriptural divorce) and I am afraid. My JW man has not been involved with his Kingdom Hall for a long time but I feel he is leaning towards becoming active again. He says he cannot divorce his wife, though he'd like to. He says he could not ever get a scriptural divorce. It is weighing him down that he has had an affair, even though he believes we are right for each other. He worries about everything a lot. He has broken off contact with me, even though we have been in love with each other for many years now. This is killing him as much as it is killing me. He did not want to give me up. Saying goodbye to the person you love is devastating.

I do not want or deserve approval for having an affair with him. I am a Christian. I know it is wrong. But love happened and it is something that cannot be turned off once it is in your heart.

I suppose my real purpose to post here is to find out if there are any other reasons to get a scriptural divorce? Doesn't it matter that his wife and my husband both left the marriages unattended when they chose to love booze more than they loved us? Isn't this abuse when the sober party has to constantly take care of a drunk?

I don't know if I should have posted this or not. I only want some help. I don't know where to go. Thank you.

• shamus
    shamus

It's okay to post here! Welcome!

First off, I have not been through what you are going through; so take my advice as such.

Run from that guy asap. If he's going back to the cult then RUN! It may be love, but man oh man, you are asking for a world of hurt getting together with him.

Sounds like his guilt is killing him; he'll probably be confessing to the elders soon and get disfellowshipped, and your name will be in the comittee's like mad. It is a mess!

Trust me; run run run! Don't ever look back. If you think that things are disfunctional now, just wait. Wait till the elders start calling you to get "details", LOL! RUN!

• Dawn
    Dawn

Hi Amy:

It sounds like there is a lot of pain in you right now. I have two recommendations:

(1) Get as far away from this man as you can. Not necessarily just because he's a JW - but because, if after all this time, he is still unwilling to make a commitment to you, and still unsure of where he wants to be - he can only offer you more pain down the road. You deserve to have a man in your life who will stand up for you and be proud - not sneak around to see you behind closed doors.

(2) You stated you were a Christian - if you REALLY mean that, then pray about this. It's time to forgive both yourself and him - and get on with your life.

It will be tough for a while - but it's better to hurt a lot for a little while and then get better - than to hurt a lot for a long time!

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Amy, welcome to the forum. I'm guessing that a marriage with this man will be a disaster.

Have a look at this thread and the links provided.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/20/66384/1029823/post.ashx#1029823

• Funchback
    Funchback

Love does happen and I can understand how and why you fell in love with this man.

The difference between you and this man is this: He DOES know how to turn on and off the love. JW's are masters of conditional love. If you and him got married and he became involved with the JW's again, he may very well end up resenting you because you won't convert (unless, of course, you DO convert).

It would probably be best if you "let it lay".

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am sorry your heart is given to a man who can never commit completely to you. Even if he leaves his wife, his heart is still given over to the WTBTS.

Sorry. Wish I could give you more hopeful advice.

My dad and my stepmom got together after they both left abusive spouses, and it did give them a great start to have that in common. The trick is, they both had wrapped up their old lives before they engaged in a new one together. I don't think your man will ever leave his old life behind.

How about joining a local AL-Anon group, and find someone who IS ready to commit?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Ok some deep and dirty info

If the two of you have had sex then he CAN get a scriptural divorce. He is already free. And he has been free since the first time you had sex. Well and if you haven't done it and his wife hasn't had sex outside the marriage then he won't be free in the eyes of the JWs.

But .... and it is a biggie. If he plans on returning to the JW he will have to either hide his relationship with you (and end it) and pretend he has been faithful to his wife or he has to confess. If he cries a lot and asks to be forgiven he might get a slap on the wrist. Or he could be disfellowshipped (probably the worst thing that can happen to some one who wants to be a JW -- but the best thing if he wants to leave).

Disfellowshipping is complicated if he has family that are still JWs because they will be coerced to stop talking to him. If he really wants to go back he can go to meetings and sit in silence and be ignored until the elders decide he is repentant and reinstate him.

What this means to you

Well if the two of you have had sex, he is already free so what is keeping him with his wife?

Does he love the WT organization more than you? And JWs are taught that the org comes before love and partners and even children.

If he decided to leave his wife and be with you he would have to marry you (if he was a JW and wanted to remain one). You would take second place always to meetings and service (door-to-door work).

If he decides to stay with his wife and asks forgiveness for the "sin" of being with you then you need to get on with your life.

I do have a question and you might not be able to answer it although he should be able to:

Since extra-marital sex is the only reason for a scriptual divorce and since you say you have done it, then what exactly is his problem? He is free in the eyes of the JW. Now all he has to do is get the legal divorce. Since he hasn't done this - WHY not?

Welcome and glad you found the courage to ask your question

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

wow, well said all, i have nothing to add

just re-read Dawn, Lady Lee, Jgnat, you gals are great

• dustyb
    dustyb

i will have to go against what everone says and say....do what you feel is right in your heart.

• Sneaky Russian
    Sneaky Russian

Hi.

Discover the trtuh behind the bible, then let it control your life if you find it to be correct.

However, you will not. Live free.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit