The resurection of Christ AND others.

by Freddy Krueger 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Freddy Krueger
    Freddy Krueger

From Mathew 27:50-53

50 And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit.
    51 At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook and the rocks split. 52 The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. 53 They came out of the tombs, and after Jesus' resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many people.

Now the interesting thing here is that many other holy people came out of their tombs and were resurrected. There were many people that witnessed this. (Even though the BIBLE doesn't speak furthur on this, as a matter fact - only Mathew does. There are however secular stories and accounts of this, which I will not go into here.) Now vs. 53 is different in different translations. Some say after Jesus ressurection and some aren't as clear, like the above.

The point and question I have. Why not more on this in the BIBLE. This is a huge witness of the power of God and of ressurection itself (If true?). These people were ressurected without direct contact with Jesus. It was all together. ALL over. But instead, today, easter rolls around and the account is spoken about as if Jesus was the sole person ressurected. I know it's because historically in the Christian faith his ressurection is all that matters anyway. O.k. enough of my ramblings. What's your thoughts on this? Anyone?

-Freddy

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi Freddy,

This interesting text is a testimony to an old Christian tradition where Jesus' spiritual resurrection (or elevation) was associated with his very death. The phrase "after his resurrection" is an awkward gloss trying to harmonize it with the later prevailing tradition of bodily resurrection in the third day. Awkward indeed, since it calls for the question: what did the holy ones during three days? Playing knucklebones in the cemetery? No wonder this tradition was generally dropped by mainstream Christianity...

Such a tradition, relating the resurrection of the dead to the very death and spiritual resurrection of Jesus, could be compared to the strange 1 Peter 3:18ff passage: For Christ also suffered for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, in order to bring you to God. He was put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit, in which also he went and made a proclamation to the spirits in prison, who in former times did not obey, when God waited patiently in the days of Noah, during the building of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were saved through water. Although the "spirits in prison" are hardly the "holy ones" of Matthew (they can actually refer not to the dead, but to the "fallen angels", according to the intertestamental interpretation of Genesis 6:1-3 attested in Jubilees or 1 Enoch), this text also points to the effect on the infernum realm of Christ's spiritual resurrection identified to his death. The Pauline doctrine is quite different, since it associates the resurrection of the dead with Christ's future parousia (1 Thessalonians 4; 1 Corinthians 15).

The Matthew tradition could also be compared to an OT passage, 2 Kings 13:20f: So Elisha died, and they buried him. Now bands of Moabites used to invade the land in the spring of the year. As a man was being buried, a marauding band was seen and the man was thrown into the grave of Elisha; as soon as the man touched the bones of Elisha, he came to life and stood on his feet.

• hooberus
    hooberus
    This interesting text is a testimony to an old Christian tradition where Jesus' spiritual resurrection (or elevation) was associated with his very death. The phrase "after his resurrection" is an awkward gloss trying to harmonize it with the later prevailing tradition of bodily resurrection in the third day.

The resurrection of the body is a consistent Biblical theme (Isaiah 26:19). The bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ is the biblical teaching (John 2:19-22; Colossians 2:9). Where is the evidence that the bodily resurrection is a "later prevailing tradition"?

"Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:" 1 Corinthians 15:1-4

Note the phrase: "he was buried, and that he rose again the third day accoding to the scriptures:" The use of such language in this early passage clearly implies a bodily resurrection (in line with Pauls teaching ie: Romans 8:11, 23). Also note the phrase "the third day"

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Does anybody else find it hilarious that a person has registered the name Freddy Kreuger and even uses the horror icon's picture as a profile image and then proceeds to quote scriptures and discuss biblical beliefs?

• shamus
    shamus

Actually, Reborn, yes! And it is pretty funny ha ha and funny weird.

What a wacky board.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Hi Reborn! I have missed your posting,you have always been one of my favorites.It is hilarious and I think clever,as it throws the society lurkers for a loop trying to figure out who is who here.

Its kind of like detective Columbo,he acts clumsy,meanwhile he is diverting your attention from his genius and always gets his man.When you look at the logos of many other posters,they too are not what they seem to be including myself.

I suspect that Freddy is quite the opposite of what he appears to be on his profile.His topics so far have been interesting to say the least.This current one has been one that has not been addressed by the Bibical scholars too much.Its interesting that nothing much is said about the others who came out of the tombs alive and that the scripture don't have much to say anymore on this amazing event.

Its good to see you on the forum again.

Blueblades

• Freddy Krueger
    Freddy Krueger

Actually Reborn, What's the difference? My point is still valid. This post has nothing to do with my name or my image, but the subject.

But why not Freddy Krueger?

"Bastard son of a thousand maniacs"

I don't know about you, but after what the society has done to us - aren't we all just bastard sons and daughters? We have all been decieved. But now we all see the light! Hopefully.

Don't knock me for my image or name. Support me because I am just like you! If not - See you in your dreams! Haaaaaaaaaa!

And I am your God!!!!!!!!

In the meantime, give me your opinion on my question/subject. And not your opinion on me!

Just bustin chops! hope you get the joke Reborn.

-Freddy

• shamus
    shamus

Hey Freddy,

You have to see the humour in this..... I should change my avatar to Satan or something.

• Freddy Krueger
    Freddy Krueger

Shamus, I definitely see the humor in this! And it's great!

But I do come up with some interesting questions for thought.

My screen name is to throw everyone for a loop, but also raise an eybrow. But it's all about the humor, and that's my philosophy. Enjoy life and laugh! But have a hell of the time in the ptrocess! You only live once. The society has already taken much to many years from most people on this site. So, enjoy what we have left in our freedom.

-Freddy

• shamus
    shamus

LOL!

Well, my i.q. is about 25, so I have nothing to add to anything unless it's fluff. Besides, I worship satan, the homosexual god. (okay, now I'm just acting really weird, LOL!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit