Political threads and the election

by Simon 29 Replies latest members adult

• Sargon
    Sargon

SS,

Did it... must have changed during a hockey game, caught us all unaware.

• logansrun
    logansrun

May I make a more serious suggestion?

Why don't we just have an area of the board for political topics? We have a "Physical Activities" board but no board devoted just to political discussion. I don't understand that.

B.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I expect that Dean will announce that HE will be Kerry's running mate and he will enthusiastically support Kerry's campaign for Vice-President.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

In my mind the top two candidates are Kerry/Edwards or Kerry/Clinton

• logansrun
    logansrun

Yeru,

Hey, the kitchen sink is missing from your avatar. Might want to look into that.

B.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Brad,

The sink is in use right now....actually, you have JH to think for that....I started with just the pic of me...he added the flag (I think it was him...old timers disease)...and just recently...my smiley face.

• Xena
    Xena

Hey Reborn

I think Simon would prefer politics not be discussed here but knowing how difficult it is to stop people from discussing it (kind of like herding cats) he is allowing one thread for all the political/election stuff.

Just my take on it.

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Logansrun:

Why don't we just have an area of the board for political topics? We have a "Physical Activities" board but no board devoted just to political discussion. I don't understand that.

I've also wondered why there wasn't a "Members Only" section of the board for Political Topics. I'm guessing that it really wouldn't matter due to the Active Topics listing but it's a thought.

• Sassy
    Sassy

If it was set up so that only those requesting access to a politcal folder were let in, then those who are not given 'permission' i.e., in the admin panel for access, would not see the topics on the subject when they click on active topics..

Just like if you log out as a member and only view this site as a guest, hitting active topics will not bring up the private folders for members only.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I've started a "USA Election 2004" topic

Then you proceed to start a topic of your own discussing politics while locking other's threads for no other reason than you feel like it, even when their posts contain no arguments or inflammatory remarks and are civil.

I can see Simon's objective here. He is not banning discussion of the US presidential election. He is collecting all of the threads into one and telling us that he expects this discussion to be civil. Otherwise, as the election approaches, the Active Topics might become filled with US political threads. He is also trying to help us all maintain our good feelings towards each other.

This is both fair and wise in my opinion. I completely understand why he locked Andy's thread. Andy does, too. Especially because Andy is new to the forum and didn't see Simon's announcement before he started a new political thread this morning. Lots of us miss the Announcements. I missed that one.

Heather

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit