My Good Deed for the Day

by Yerusalyim 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

The Jews have a concept of doing a good deed on sabbath, it's called the Sabbath Mitzvah. I did mine today. I went out to the hospital to visit a friend of mine. He's a member of the Knights of Columbus, my Deputy Grand Knight in fact. Heart palpitations put him there...he's out tomorrow. That wasn't my good deed though, that was my duty as a friend and as the Grand Knight. My mitzvah, or good deed, was to pick up all the WatchTowers and Awakes left in the magazine rack in the lobby. I didn't throw them away either, they went into the recycle bin...there...two good deeds; saving innocents from WT drivel and recycling.

Who would have thought this dyed in the wool conservative was almost fanatical about recycling.

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

Good for you. I do the same thing whenever and wherever I see them. Except I have recycled them yet. Well, maybe there's a purpose for them in the bathroom!

• bisous
    bisous

Good for you....I prefer my sacrificial burning rite during the full moon but ................

• dustyb
    dustyb

you should have replaced the toilet paper in the bathrooms with the watchtower magazines and recycled the toilet paper because its more pure of paper =D

• Sneaky Russian
    Sneaky Russian

Ha Ha!

Now that is what I call a good deed!

Well done !

• Strawberryfieldsforever
    Strawberryfieldsforever

Way ta go!!!!!!!

Everytime I'm at the dentist's office or the Dr's , I see those mags and don't have the guts to throw them out. Thanks for the encouragement! Next time, I'm gonna take them with me and throw them in the nearest garbage. Recycling is too good for them......am I being bad?

• Smyler
    Smyler

Wasn't there an 'experience' about a garbage/dump worker found some watchtowers in the dump, and became a JW? I think I remember reading that a while ago in a WT.

So, don't throw in the garbage, burn'em!

• Strawberryfieldsforever
    Strawberryfieldsforever

Yes Smyler!

I've changed my stratagy! Bring them home and burn them on the brush pile. Like a sacrifice. A drink would go good too! Brandy anyone?

• bebu
    bebu

I was visiting someone in the hospital here a few years ago. It's a Catholic hospital. And all thru it were Awakes and WatchTowers. I picked them up and brought them to the information desk and asked to speak to whomever was in charge of the literature... The lady wasn't aware of what these magazines were really all about, and I told her bluntly that the JWs considered Catholicism satanic, so they should not only get rid of these but find the person who is doing this and tell them to stop.

Actually--I think it would be right for businesses and hospitals to call the local KH and request that literature NOT be left on their property!! Why not?

Yeru, your sabbath mitzvah reminds me of a true story. In Romania some Christians were required to work 7 days a week, but the 7th Day Adventist refused to work on Saturday and was beaten very severely each Saturday because of this. A Christian with a Jewish background spoke with him and said, "You know that we Jews are not required to follow the law in times of duress like this, aside from the prohibition of blasphemy and adultery. In this situation you are permitted to work."

"Yes," the man replied, "I know that. I simply wanted to give God a mitzvah."

bebu

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Bebu,

Interesting story. I wonder if the Hospitals can call the KH to have them stop leaving the rags. For my part, I've found a new mission in life...WT removal and recycle...if you rip those mags in half, the trash man won't read them.

My other good deed was to yell at the neighbor kids for hitting a dog with a stick...then I told their parents...God, I've become my father...YIKES...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit