I have a bone to pick with society...Re: MEN and KIDS

by flower 30 Replies latest jw friends

• flower
    flower

Why is it that if a man passes by at the mall or grocery store toting a baby or little kids along gets all kinds of admiring looks from strangers? Especially if he puts the kid in one of those baby pouch thingys....geez he may as well be a GOD. If he has toddlers and they are acting up its not his fault hes doing the best he can after all. He cant be expected to keep up with them AND make them behave too!

Meanwhile about a hundred women have passed by with babies and kids and no one takes a second glance unless one of the kids is making too much noise or acting out...then she is a bad mom and her kid is a brat!

Talk about double standards. Men get extra credit for doing things that women do thousands of times without even thinking.

Hey, I can sit around and watch sports, drink beer and make gross noises too. Do I get extra credit for that? NO.

I like men, i really do! but gimme a break with the superdad crap. just cause a guy can change a diaper I'm supposed to be impressed? I can change my oil or tire and I play football with my kid every weekend.

So there.

Three cheers for super moms AND dads!

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

You may have a point Flower. Our son was 15 years old when his sister was born and we once had to leave for a while and asked him to keep an eye on her. We were only going to be gone for an hour or two so we didn't see any problem, and she was fast asleep. Well, he proceeds to look at the floor and asked this profound question, "has she pooped yet."

• Funchback
    Funchback
    Hey, I can sit around and watch sports, drink beer and make gross noises too. Do I get extra credit for that? NO.

Umm...I've SEEN you sitting around and watching sports. And I've heard some of those "gross" noises that you made. And, today, flower, I am giving you the credit you deserve!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

When I see a mom struggling with kids in a store, she gets a look of empathy from me. When I see a dad, I see a man who is not too proud to help his wife out. I hopefully see a situation where the mother is off somewhere enjoying herself or at school or something. But sometimes I fear it means the mother is either divorced or went crazy and ran off to join the merchant marines or circus or something to escape.Or God forbid: dead. In any case, the dad gets a look of empathy from me.

I'm an equal opportunity empathizer.

Heather

• Flash
    Flash

Hi Flower,

I think it's about expectations, women are and men aren't supposed to be 'good' at those things. I think since women are 'expected' to be better the standard is higher for them. A double standard?
    I guess, until the perception of what male and female roles/skills are improve.

• talesin
    talesin

Don't kid yourself - many of them are very aware that having the kid is a great way to "pick up chicks" and/or get their ego stroked.

I do have one male friend who is the homemaker (3 kids, wife works, he does all the rest), but he is the exception to this rule.

I also have one other male friend who shares child care with his wife (changed diapers, helps on weekends with housework, SPENDS TIME with kids, stays home and doesn't turn on the tube).

There are also a surprising number of single dads these days, who are raising their child(ren) on their own.

However, I agree with you flower, what's with these women who are "oh, how sweet, he must be a wonderful man". Just like Chris Rock said, "that's what you're SUPPOSED TO DO. Why do you want praise from me just cause you're doing what you supposed to?"

We women have to STOP making a big deal when we see a man with a baby. You know, "That's nice, you're doing your share of parenting. Carry on. See ya." NO BIG DEAL

t

• Rick Aust
    Rick Aust

I think you're being silly. Look at all the crap men have had to take from society and the "Supermum", for decades men have being looked as just money earners, if the Mother and children could get financial support from somewhere else then the father would not be needed. Its only in the past 10years that the roll of the father is being recognized.

• TonyT
    TonyT

The double standard works both ways. Last week I received a dirty look while absentmindedly holding the shopping cart while my more than capable wife placed a 40 lb bag of dog food in the cart. I should have been more attentive since she is a weaker vessel. On the other hand, if I don?t feel like lifting she should be in subjection and allow me my rest. ;-)

• simplesally
    simplesally

Flower, I think 'society' is impressed when a woman does her own handy work, when she changes her own flat tire or engine oil. My ex-husband and his boys were extremely impressed when I'd ride my bike.....they knew I was no sissy, I would get out and move. My 1st ex-husband and I used to hike and we hiked some pretty tough stuff and he'd always brag to his mom and dad.....and tell his sister that no way could she have gone with us.

• flower
    flower

That was NOT me Brian! You Just wait till I get back to PA again!! I'm gonna have to kick your a$$.

I think you're being silly. Look at all the crap men have had to take from society and the "Supermum", for decades men have being looked as just money earners, if the Mother and children could get financial support from somewhere else then the father would not be needed. Its only in the past 10years that the roll of the father is being recognized.

Huh? Let me understand..so mans image of just being the money earner is societys fault or womens fault? Men are the ones who for decades came home insisting on a hot meal and slippers put on his feet so he could sit down and relax in his clean home. The image was created by men for men and now they are poor victims whos abilities as fathers and care takers have been overlooked until now? Um, no I dont think so.

Its only in the past 10years that the roll of the father is being recognized.

What that should read is "Its only in the past 10 or so years that fathers have realized that women dont need them to just 'provide' for the family and that if they dont offer a woman more than a paycheck she probably wont stick around for long".

*goes off singin..'i can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, and never ever ever let you forget your a man, cause i'm a wooooooman' *

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit