thoughts...

by dustin_adam 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dustin_adam
    dustin_adam

Please note! This is more of a philosophical question, and I am posting it merely to get feedback on what I like to term Doctrinal Circular Logic (ie. The Bible is true because the Bible says it true) I have tried to remove my own conclusions that I made from this, so if they shine through somewhere, I apologize.

I have enjoyed using the Societies own Watchtower Library CD-ROM as it allows for fast searches of words, text strings and article references, as well as cross-examinations. This morning after reading all of your replies to my posting on the 1975 issue, analyzed through their own pubs, I did some thinking and came up with a hunch.

We were always taught that ?God is perfect? and that he is unwavering. So, I queried the entire database for the text string ?God is Perfect? and came up with 15 instances throughout various Watchtowers, and one instance in the Greatest Man book, none in the Reference Bible.

The string ?Jehovah is perfect? found only one scriptural match, and it states ?The law of Jehovah is perfect?, not the creator himself. (Psalms 19:7) There were many more instances in other publications for this string, although most of them were merely quoting the Psalms passage, there were a fair number of independent statements of God?s Perfection.

Indeed the only scripture that I could find that even closely alludes to God?s perfection without blatantly stating it was Deuteronomy 32:4 which says: ?The Rock, perfect is his activity?? and Deuteronomy was the only time that I could find that Jehovah was described as a Rock. (although I may be wrong, and forgive me if that is so)

In any case, this whole train of though that I had ran all the way back to Genesis where we were taught, again, that Adam was created perfect. Yet not anywhere in the Bible are the words Adam and perfect found together. However, if we allow ourselves to adopt the JW reasoning for a moment as I did you come up with the following train of thought:

?God is perfect?

This means that everything he does is perfect, without flaw, never.

?Adam was perfect?

This means that Adam was perfect, perfect mind, perfect body.

?Adam sinned?

Adam?. Made a mistake? His reasoning was flawed?

?Yet god is perfect?

does anyone else see the conundrum in this? or if MY reasoning or research is flawed, I would be happy to learn more from your opinions and/or knowledge.

• Sneaky Russian
    Sneaky Russian

A further point to consider is if God is perfect, how can he justify the creation of evil?

And if God knows all things and his purpose never changes, then why did he send his Son down to Earth as a consequence of Adam sinning? Either he knew that Adam would sin, or he was caught out by the Devil. Surely he could have predicted if Satan would have sinned or not?

Makes no sense.

• garybuss
    garybuss

The book The Age Of Reason by Thomas Paine has all your answers. For real!

• dustin_adam
    dustin_adam

The Age of Reason.... sounds interesting... my Encarta Reference Library 2003 DVD edition had the following quoute from the book:

"It is necessary to the happiness of man that he be mentally faithful to himself. Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving, it consists in professing to believe what one does not believe."

Thomas Paine (1737 - 1809)
    Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2003. © 1993-2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Thanks for the tip, i'll pick up a copy!

• Sneaky Russian
  • dustin_adam
    dustin_adam

thanks, i downloaded the webpage to read at leisure later. get back with a reply this afternoon or tommorow

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Dustin... you're right on the money.

The idea of human 'perfection' is not a biblical concept... it's a Watchtower gloss, a way of attempting to modernize the archaic concept of inherited sin that is found in the Bible.

• dustyb
    dustyb

also just FYI, the WT always uses deuteronomy 32:4 as a guideline that God has always had a Theocractic government in place all throughout time.....

• happehanna
    happehanna

"You must accordingly be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect."?Matt. 5:48.

not sure but is this not in the bible................

• Narkissos

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit