Money and career tips for EX-JWs....

by logansrun 30 Replies latest jw friends

• logansrun
    logansrun

It's a safe bet that if you were raised as a JW, or if you came into it early in life, you have some strange ideas about money and finances. The WT for decades made even minimal post-secondary education utterly taboo and only recently has capitulated that "some" extra schooling might be neccessary (associate degrees good, bachelors degrees bad). The average youth raised a JW has little understanding of investment due to the apocalyptic worldview of the organization (why invest in a dying system when the big "A" is right around the corner?). And there are a myriad of other reasons why many (though not all) people raised in the organization are a few steps behind "normal" people in the western world.

So, especially for those of you who have well moved beyond the JW mindset and have "made something" with their lives, what advice would you offer? What grand words of wisdom do you have regarding money, schooling and career?

Bradley...who has a few ideas of his own but prefers to hear yours

• Dawn
    Dawn

First recommendation - get back to school and get a degree. You're not too old! I am 38, will be 40 when I finish my bachelor's and I don't regret taking the time to do it. Talk to the school counselor to find out if you're eligible for grants and low interest loans. You don't have to quit your job to go to school - you can take 1 or 2 classes a quarter on-line through many state colleges and get your degree that way. Also - in some States, if you are a State employee you can take college credits at reduced rates (like $25 per credit) - it might be worthwhile to take even a receptionist or janitorial job at a State agency to get the cheap college. Depends on your current income level.

Second recommendation - spend $100 to go to an accountant and get financial advice on how to save for your future. It is worth this initial investment to get information from a professional. My husband and I did this right after we were married and I have never regretted it - he gave us great advice and we have prospered a lot from it.

• logansrun
    logansrun

Dawn,

I'm in school right now, actually. I just got my acceptance to Northeastern Illinois University two days ago and will be transferring there. I felt this would be an interesting topic nonetheless.

B.

• Dawn
    Dawn

Congrats!! I bet you will love college. I have really enjoyed learning so much - anthropology, psychology, sociology, etc. It was all VERY enlightening to me.

• bisous
    bisous

I actually had a reasonably good mind in high school. Was strongly promoted to attend college, but parents refused. So luckily I took some basic courses that helped create an ability to at least earn some decent earning power as a young woman (typing, project management, computer courses).

Upon leaving JWs and beginning to think about $ and career, I did some research around best places to work, companies that promote from within, balanced approach towards women, reimbursed tuition.

Zeroed in on financial services (banking) as there were multiple opportunities in a variety of fields....human resources, training, marketing, fin'l management, facilities, systems....on and on... a person could complete their studies (underwritten by the company) and zero in on a specialty within the company as you moved on. Many of these areas are transferrable outside of banking/fin'l services too, so you aren't limited there. A large bank was even better---more opportunities.

I worked for Citibank for a number of years, went back to school while there, and grew a decent career. Identifying and maintaining a relationship with a mentor was also key. Since then I have also worked in other institutions, studied for and obtained a Series 7 license, and now work in a management level position overseeing call centers. This is something that could be done in other industries. I also obtained experience in bank branch management, gen'l departmental operations, etc.(all good "fall back" possibilities for employment). So I think my approach worked in my favor.

I would urge individuals not to let the lack of a degree discourage them. I accomplished quite a bit of progress prior to completing my degree, and hands-on experience vs. education evens out as you move up in business.

Hell, Bill Gates has done okay without one! as have countless others!

Interesting thread, B - well done

• donkey
    donkey

If the person you are asking is not rich then why listen to them?

That's like asking a one legged man how to run the marathon.

• bisous
    bisous

don't think the question was how to get rich....

or did I miss it?

• donkey
    donkey

Money and career tips...

The point of both is to get rich so that you need not have the career in order to earn money. What you do for fun when you have enough is up to you.

• TD
    TD

In my opinion, when it comes to money, the single biggest failing of the JW's is that they have no sense of a financial future. Generations of them have looked down the road and seen only their New Order instead of retirement.

My advice: It's never too early to start saving. If your company (or future company if you're still in school) has a 401K plan take full advantage of it. Some employers will match up to 50% or more. (Usually with a tiered vestment system of some sort) There's next to nothing that will give a 50% return right off the bat like that. If your employer doesn't offer a 401, open an IRA. Any good life insurance agent from a reputable company will be happy to do it for you. Even if all you can put in is 5$ a week, DO IT.

Learn from the JW's, who by and large are still thinking and spending like 20 somethings long after they are in their 40's. The real panic doesn't set in 'till mid-50's or so, and it's not pretty. It's really sad. That's not where you want to be.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Hmmm, interesting thread, Brad..........I have worked for the Board of Education in a town close to where I reside for 4 years now......it is the most boring job I've ever held along with being the most lucrative..............I earn $35,000/yr. along with pretty good health benefits........I get 3 weeks vacation and 5 personal days along with every major Federal holiday off.............for instance I will get Friday thru Monday off for Presiden'ts Day........I don't have to be back to work til Tuesday................yet, I am bored to tears.......and, because of my divorce and other things, this will be the first year I have had any kind of savings account.........the desire is incredibly strong right now, for me to save as much money as possible..................wow!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit