Can anyone really take politicians seriously?

by logansrun 16 Replies latest social current

• logansrun
    logansrun

A candidate for the US Senate in Illinois, a Republican, is advocating a limit on the amount a person can sue for medical malpractice. This limit would be $250,000. Okay, that may be a good idea. Health costs might lower for everyone if we put limits on malpractice suits. But this same politician sued the Chicago Tribune for $100,000,000 recently for "inaccurate" reporting on his campaign. I'm sorry, but that's extraordinarily inconsistant -- to the point of being hypocritical.

Bill Clinton in his 1992 campaign promised to make sure NAFTA would have provisions protecting the interests of labor. He waffled and signed the agreement without these provisions. (Some say he was the greatest Republican president we ever had!) And we all know the sordid lies and obfuscations regarding his sex life. Yes, Slick Willy was a liar and a hypocrite -- just like our current president.

Democrats. Republicans. It makes no difference. Loyalty to either party is a sick joke.

Bradley

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Not taking Bush seriously has been disasterous...

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes - true - even Sir Winsrton Churchill and FDR told some lies(in the interest of NationalSecurity of course) but I certainly do not totally trust any politician

• logansrun
    logansrun

Six,That's not what I meant by "seriously." I was refferring to the integrity of your average politician.

Still,

even Sir Winsrton Churchill and FDR told some lies(in the interest of NationalSecurity of course)

You honestly believe that Churchill and FDR only lied in the interests of national security?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Take honest abe lincoln. He makes w bush look like a boy scout, as far as persuit of war is concerned.

SS

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

logans run You honestly believe that Churchill and FDR only lied in the interests of national security?

No I was just trying to be tactful

• logansrun
    logansrun

I guess what I'm saying is that whatever our stance is on issues we have to admit that there is a serious lack of real political discussion and openness from politicians from both parties -- even the ones who brag about being a "straight talker" are usually, laughingly anything but.

There are exceptions, of course. I'm always impressed with John McCain because he breaks rank with his party all the time and is really bipartisan. To me, if you always vote the party line that shows a terrible weakness in your political ability and smacks of sheer cowardice and/or stupidity.

The running of government has become too ideologically based. It's such a shame.

Bradley

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

First you say politicians are dishonest and hypocritical, then you say they're too ideological? Make up your mind, Bradley.

• logansrun
    logansrun

still,

No I was just trying to be tactful

Why? Afraid of offending a couple dead guys? Tell it like it is.

B.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I guess what I'm saying is that whatever our stance is on issues we have to admit that there is a serious lack of real political discussion and openness from politicians from both parties -- even the ones who brag about being a "straight talker" are usually, laughingly anything but.

True - Yes -if the Republicans have a great idea it will be condemned by Democrats just because it came from a Republican

AND VICA VERSA -- that is why the voters have lost trust in politicians

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit